Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't forget about your finances

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    The reason people who sell gold, tell you to buy gold- is to keep the international banks going during the difficult times that the banks create. The banks will take your gold and give you pieces of paper on deposit in exchange for that gold- all while charging a small fee for doing so. Eventually you won't be able to redeem the pieces of paper for gold because the banks have already taken all the gold out of their vaults to melt down into more coins- to sell to more of the unsuspecting public. Once all the gold deposited in the banks is distributed the government will demand you return all gold currency to them in exchange for more pieces of paper "backed by the full faith and credit of the government". Eventually with inflation, fees paid to print the paper IOU certificates known as "cash" along with kickbacks to government cronies, bribes to the poor in exchange for voting for more government- the certificates themselves or "cash" become worthless while the government goes broke under a mountain of debt. When this happens they usually do something drastic like start a big war or spread some disease around like small pox, tuberculosis, or coronavirus. In the chaos everyone thinks the government went broke trying to fight whatever national level calamity is going on but in reality- they just need to reset their account ledgers. Now the key here is to recognize one of these cycles in it's early stages and leave for a while- like my great grandfather did when he decided to spend a few years subsistence hunting in Africa because "it takes a long time to eat an elephant". Then just return eventually once things settle down so you can then begin depositing your gold back into the local international bank in exchange for more "cash" certificates. Failing to leave during these times usually means ending up flat broke, eating your pets, or worse- being eaten by the neighbors. It's the natural economic cycle.
    If you can't hold it you don't own it. Get physical gold.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Key here is holding onto it. If you can hold onto your gold during a true grid down SHTF wide spread crisis until the lights come back, great- but during that time it's useless. Besides I'd rather build a dune buggy so I have something to mount my prisoners onto when I drive through the wasteland asking people to walk away from their gold, gasoline, food stocks etc.
    PMSL

You are joking right ?

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:45.

Feedback Score
    I think some of the worse melt downs in society, shows the wisdom of being prepared.

But let me be totally blunt, if you are in an urban environment including the suburbs and you have things and your neighbors don't. They will gang together and take it from you.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:45.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Hmmm...gonna buy a loaf of bread with a gold coin? How are you going to get change? I think you're far better off with silver. Or ammunition. In the looming COVID-19 apocalypse, or any of the other imminent apocalypses, I think ammunition will be the new commodity.
    I know you are joking/trolling about various upcoming apocalypse scenarios, but there is truth in your recommendation that the goldbugs seem to miss.

Especially about relative units (value of gold vs that of toilet paper, gallon of gas, etc).

I view ammo as a good hedge. Will maintain its value and it also has utility if nothing happens.

I have a bunch of german 7.62x51 that I wish I had bought 5x what I did. I expect ammo to go up with inflation or higher depending on demand, so its not going 5o get cheaper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I know you are joking/trolling about various upcoming apocalypse scenarios, but there is truth in your recommendation that the goldbugs seem to miss.

Especially about relative units (value of gold vs that of toilet paper, gallon of gas, etc).

I view ammo as a good hedge. Will maintain its value and it also has utility if nothing happens.

I have a bunch of german 7.62x51 that I wish I had bought 5x what I did. I expect ammo to go up with inflation or higher depending on demand, so its not going 5o get cheaper.
    Gold has absolutely no value in shtf situations.. I don't think any other goldbugs think it does either.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

Quite right. I’m not a “prepper” and not a believer in looming apocalypses. But if we ever did enter some kind of lawlessness era, or even short-term societal hiccup, “relative value” becomes more important than absolute value. You can’t eat or shoot gold, but toilet paper, ammunition, and coffee will certainly be important components of even a collapsed society.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast