Thread: Ruger "Precision Rifle" rimfire.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Ruger "Precision Rifle" rimfire.

Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot on the forum but have not posted much. Awesome forum with tons of info.

So I've recently got a RPR in 17HMR. Love it. It's my 1st bolt gun. Love it. I have a Riton 5-25x scope on it at the moment. After zeroing it in at 50yrd, I was able to hit a nickel size target at almost 90% hit rate. I plan to take it out 100 yard this weekend and see what I can do with it.

I've ordered a Magpul MOE grip for it. Thinking to get a muzzle device / flash hinder of some sort. I have no problem with the recoil (duh it's a 17) and no plan for a suppressor. So what would you guys usually do?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would just shoot it. No mods needed.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I would just shoot it. No mods needed.

PB
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking. A muzzle device is mostly just for looks and maybe makes it a tad longer (still for looks).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arken View Post
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking. A muzzle device is mostly just for looks and maybe makes it a tad longer (still for looks).
    Muzzle devices also help with shot timers. Givens a little more bang for the microphone to pick up.

Feedback Score
    I own the 17 HMR with Muzzle Blast, your right looks good, very little kick.

I also have another center fire, with Muzzle Blast, which takes all the kick from the Precsion Rifle.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bdvet View Post
    I own the 17 HMR with Muzzle Blast, your right looks good, very little kick.

I also have another center fire, with Muzzle Blast, which takes all the kick from the Precsion Rifle.
    That's great to hear. Is your center fire a 6.5 CM or 308? I shot my friend's 6.5CM and love it. I just don't love the cost of 6.5CM ammo

Feedback Score
    The reason you don't like 6.5 CM, is why I went with 223, cheap ammo, plus I only shoot paper at the range.

I have shot friends Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor, I like it, but he reloads his ammo to cut cost.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would do two things: call Ruger and tell them you have issues extracting (because you will, sooner or later) then take the gun to you local gunsmith and have him polish the chamber and fit the original extractor. When the Ruger extractor arrives, keep it somewhere safe so that you have it as a spare. To be fair, you may not need it after the polish and fit, I’ve only run a few hundred rounds since then.

This is based on a data set of four rifles, 2000-2500 rounds total. We have three Ruger Americans for work and all three have had different levels of extraction problems. We have one precision rimfire, but it doesn’t get shot as much.