Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Power Stribog SP9A1

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Pics are not impressive in basement light. But I’m liking this thing. It does seem like a low mount feels most appropriate. Even on a low mount, the RDS is too high to co-witness with the irons. I did mount up a Vortex UH-1, but at a “lower 1/3” AR height, it seemed a bit high. Have to actually get some rounds through at some point in the next week.

Going to stay away from the SBR route for how. This brace is fairly comfortable and allows me to cross into IL if ever needed.

Last edited by JediGuy; 06-28-20 at 18:24.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very nice!!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    For those with a Stribog...
    As I LARP around my house, I find that instead of doing a thumb over bore support hand grip, a thumb over charging handle seems just about perfect.
    Anyone else find this, OR is this a bad idea for any reason?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Where’s the A3?

Feedback Score
    I have two of these. My original plans for the second one fell through, so now I have a backup. Which is nice...

Anyway, these are just a few observations that I have about setting up and using these. Take them for what they are worth.

One Stribog is set up with a B&T type brace, a T1 on an absolute co-witness mount, and an Arisaka 300 light at 2 o’clock. The second Stribog has an A3 tactical side folding brace with a tail hook, a H1 with a 1/3rd mount and a X300 light at 12 o’clock. Both have the BUIS replaced with metal ones, extended bolt stops, and trigger spring kits from Mcarbo.

The metal sights are nice because they don’t have the sight blade on the front. This enables you to mount an X300 at 12 o’clock, which really keeps a slim profile if you want to put this in a back pack or something.

In my opinion the extended bolt stop is an essential modification. The stock bolt stop is just too small, the difference in my ability to manipulate the bolt was night and day after replacement.

The trigger spring kits are a good add. While the stock springs are not bad, the lighter springs make a positive difference in my opinion.

The A3 tactical brace is really good. It folds to the left side, locks into place, and is very sturdy. I didn’t think I would like it at first, but was pleasantly surprised. I can’t say enough good things about it from a brace perspective.

The B&T type brace is not as sturdy as the A3 but it answers the mail nicely, and it’s also a little more comfortable. It folds to the right, doesn’t lock, and pulls in closer to the weapon than the A3 does. This, of course, creates a slimmer profile when folded.

On both of them I also placed a standard KAC rail panel on the 6 o’clock rail. The thing fits perfectly, almost as if it was made to be there. However, I cut them down a little to put a hand stop at the front. Any hand stop will do. As you would think, the rail panel really helps out with mitigating heat. Definitely a good add in my book.

The standard thread protector is ok at best. On both, I always had to tighten them down after a few magazines. I just went ahead and grabbed up a 9mm A2 flash hider and the problem was solved.

There has been talk about the reliability of the polymer magazines. I have about 20 mags and have not seen any issues, three of them have been loaded for about two months now and are still fine. Not a huge sample size or duration, but take that as you like. I only had one problem with a magazine and that was from a third party manufacturer. The thing would not feed properly at all. I won’t start naming names as they make good products, and their CS was prompt and easy to deal with. I think it was just a bad mag that escaped the factory.

Outside the experience with the one magazine, the weapons run flawlessly. While not a huge round count yet (1k on one and about 500 on another), I have yet to experience any failure in the weapons.

When shooting, I started by placing the thumb of my non-shooting hand over the top of the weapon. As I kept shooting it slid down to the charging handle and then eventually my hand came to rest on the magazine well. I’m kind of a big guy and this just felt the most comfortable for the size of the weapon. Additionally, I did not notice any difference in how the weapon acted during firing as my hand moved. I was still able to place rounds effectively at a decent cadence. But please don’t take that as definitive, I want to put more rounds down range before concluding anything in this area.

My hand placement also impacted how I use the lights. Thus far, I have had no issues with the X300. It has been easy to reach my thumb up and manipulate the switch. The Arisaka is a little different as it is at the two o’clock position. I wanted to keep the charging handle on the left hand side (kinda have to too), so I mounted a remote switch on the MLOK slots just under the charging handle. At first I used a pic rail section to mount the switch, but that made charging the weapon awkward. So I instead changed the switch and mounted it using the Magpul tape switch mounting plate. To do this you have to use the diagonal cut in the receiver in addition to the front MLOK slot. This takes a little trimming to the mounting plate, but once in place it works great. No more problems with the charging handle.

As far as sight height goes, I have not experienced any problems with the different mounts when used with the different braces. I know that is subjective, but that has been my experience so far.

I hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Where’s the A3?
    Just got this this morning:
    Annotation 2020-07-01 134421.png

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Headache,

Post up pics!!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the delayed response (and the picture quality) got pretty busy.

While it hasn’t been a problem in any way, I’m not a fan of the loose tape switch wire on the Arisaka light. Thus far I haven’t been able to find a good/practical way of securing it. I may end up switching that light to the 10 o’clock position and just put a normal tailcap on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Headache; 01-08-21 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Headache View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response (and the picture quality) got pretty busy.

While it hasn’t been a problem in any way, I’m not a fan of the loose tape switch wire on the Arisaka light. Thus far I haven’t been able to find a good/practical way of securing it. I may end up switching that light to the 10 o’clock position and just put a normal tailcap on it.

9998F182-1EAC-4C89-9DAE-52432BD67503.jpeg79297B8B-2180-4297-B8E6-D2EAC5DADF24.jpegC115D8E4-3B57-4DDF-B890-CA6E56323119.jpeg

Edit: pics uploaded kinda weird
    I try to stay tailcap for most of my weapons, its much harder to accidentally click the light on at the wrong time, and there are no wires to get broken or play with.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    I’ve always kept my lights at 2 o’clock and a tape switch at 12. That is how this one started until ergonomics mandated something different.

Never had a problem with this set-up, but to be honest, I’ve probably kept it that way more out of an old habit not to have the light up against my body. If I like the tailcap I’ll probably switch my ARs out as well, I got a small pile of caps in my toolbox.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast