Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is the weight worth it

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boss_hawg View Post
    I don’t doubt that you can score hits on target out to that distance but I wonder if the bullet still has enough velocity from the short barrel to expand or fragment at those distances.

It’s been a while since I checked the ballistic calculator on my given ammo but I seem to recall that it slows below the speed necessary to fragment somewhere around the 200-225 yard mark when fired from a 12.5” barrel. I could be mistaken though.
    Maybe. But the bullet will still make enough of a hole to cause a notable leak in the hydraulic system. Add to that, if a foe were to take offense at having such a hole put in their hydraulic system, they'll have to have to cover that 300 yards or so to register their complaint, risking more leaks being placed to greater effect.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-01-20 at 14:03.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I have read on numerous occasions of our guys putting bad guys down with MK18's at 200 yards. Of course I can't verify that.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    I have read on numerous occasions of our guys putting bad guys down with MK18's at 200 yards. Of course I can't verify that.
    There was a whole thread on here several years back about an article detailing the increased use of Mk18s in Afghanistan.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...OF-on-MK18-use

I think that it's fair to say that an SBR/10.5" or so barrel is still perfectly acceptable for most combat ranges a 5.56 weapon will need to engage it. Beyond 250-300m, it's best to get something a bit bigger. (be that caliber or longer barrel, I leave to another thread) That article/thread finally got me off my ass and caused me to invest in an SBR barrel for my SCAR, and a DD Mk18 upper AR pistol.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Then who cares? It’s a shorty, if you want longer distance precision potential or a general purpose carbine run a 14.5” or 16”. This notion that a short barrel bullet hose should do double duty whacking stuff at 300 on out is misguided at best. Frankly for those who’s job doesn’t involve kicking doors down, and SBR to me seems more of a toy than anything.
    Do you own an SBR? 14.5” or 16” is general purpose for whom? You? Its not for me. Personally a 12.5" with a LPVO and a can would be my general purpose rifle. I would add that accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length. Velocity and the range of your given ammo has to do with barrel length.

But lets take that whole argument out of the equation. If you need to make a head shot at 100 yards and your gun is 4 or 5 moa, that could very easily be a miss. If your short barrel bullet hose is 1.5 MOA, its a shot you can be confident in if you do your part.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It wasn’t until reading that other article on the MK18 that I realized Dano is no longer on this forum. I had noticed I hadn’t seen posts from him in a while...now I know why. Sucks to lose the SMEs who have actually BTDT.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    It wasn’t until reading that other article on the MK18 that I realized Dano is no longer on this forum. I had noticed I hadn’t seen posts from him in a while...now I know why. Sucks to lose the SMEs who have actually BTDT.
    Completely agree. Such a bummer.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    On using the Mk18 at 200+, guys aren’t doing that because they have 4 guns in their backpack inventory they can switch to like a videogame. They’re using it because its the gun they have in their hands at the moment. Not because its the optimal tool for that particular shot. They are carrying it because the benefits for their task outweighs the drawbacks.

Soldiers, even well trained ones, tend to overestimate distance in varying degrees, especially at night. So when I hear about a longer shot that I wasn’t present for, I think about how they determined/verified the distance, time of day, and who’s telling me.

Also, ammo type can play a role, as does chance and placement. Pop a melon, and it doesn’t matter if your ammo fragmented or expanded optimally. And dropping a dude like a lightning strike has a different scale of urgency at knife range than it does at “that idiot can’t hit me” range. Nobody likes getting shot, so a dude dropping face first to the ground at 300 does not always mean he is DRT. It may mean he doesn’t know what to do about his current problem, and hopefully he’ll be dead when you get to him. Of course, you’ll never find out if you shoot him a few more times just for luck.

I’m not saying that any of these reports are BS, or that the Mk 18 doesn’t do the job, just providing a little clarification. Choose what works best for your task.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Here’s a 300 yard hit with 10.5 build using irons
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234