Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Perils of Concealed Carry -- Article by Jeff Gonzales

Feedback Score

Post The Perils of Concealed Carry -- Article by Jeff Gonzales

The Perils of Concealed Carry

During a recent class, we discussed some tragic accidents involving concealed carry. I'm not sure they could have been avoided, but hopefully folks can avoid making the same mistakes.

When Baggy is Bad
    One of the problems we see in our Concealed Carry Tactics classes occurs when students are attempting to re-holster. The concealment garment loosens and gets funneled into the holster's mouth prior to the pistol re-holstering. The concealment garment gets shoved further into the holster applying pressure to all parts of the gun—to include the trigger. One of the most important features you look for in a holster is a trigger guard. In other words, while the pistol is holstered no object can gain access to the trigger. While you might have chosen an excellent holster that meets this objective, shoving a piece of your concealment garment into the holster as you re-holster will override your efforts.

No One is Exempt
    You don't have to be practicing from concealed to experience this issue. In fact, we brief students at the beginning of all our classes that the aspect of re-holstering must be conducted in a safe and controlled manner—such as ensuring there are no foreign objects near the mouth of the holster. The most common culprit is the bottom hem of your shirt, but other items can include drawstring hems and zipper pulls. In fact, I have a good friend who experienced a negligent discharge as a result of a zipper pull. Crazy stuff can happen, so be safe and in control. Next, observe the re-holstering process. Look down to ensure there is no foreign object near the mouth of the holster. As you gently re-holster, be on the lookout for any resistance. If you feel more resistance than normal, STOP! Identify what is causing the resistance, address the issue, and carry on.

There is No Prize for Fastest Re-holster
    If you find yourself in a real world situation, consider the fact you will be highly stressed. These procedures will help ensure that when you re-holster you will do so safely. Before you re-holster, verify the scene is safe or the target is secure. Once you have completed all scans, consider performing some ammunition management. After you complete that final step, slowly, very slowly, re-holster. Yes, I do suggest you observe the process, but keep things in perspective. The reason you are re-holstering is either you are being relieved, there is no longer a lethal threat, or you are off the proverbial “X." If you have any reason to believe there was still a threat to your safety, then you wouldn't be re-holstering. So, in this case, taking your eyes off your battle space to safely re-holster is the tactical imperative.

Protect the Trigger
    For those who carry “off body,” I first strongly encourage you to reconsider. I realize it is more difficult for women to carry concealed and this is an option for them. During our Concealed Carry Combative classes, we see so many off body ideas go the way of the dinosaur. If you carry off body, I strongly encourage the trigger still be protected. That means light sheaths or, in some cases, a minimalist holster. I love the Vanguard 2 from Raven Concealment, and use them more times than I can count. In the case of “off body,” I would affix the holster to an anchor point so when I obtain my firing grip and retrieve the pistol from my off body concealment, it separates from the holster on the draw stroke.

It is easy to second guess what happened in these events, but I am more inclined to remind folks of proper concealment protocol. Always re-holster safely and under control.

Jeff Gonzales
    Trident Concepts, LLC

Jeff Gonzales is a regular, guest contributor to the M4C Newsletter and Forum. Not getting the newsletter? Click here.

Feel free to leave your comments and thoughts on the article below.

Feedback Score
    I carry a Sig 239 or 229 and when I reholster (Mitch Rosen Cry Once Pay Once) I put my thumb on the hammer/slide and if anything moves I stop and correct the problem.

Feedback Score
    Gunsite’s Ken Campbell, in a safety briefing before the annual alumni shoot, admonished us to “holster reluctantly “, which I felt was a simple phrase which resonates strongly.

Feedback Score
    I was standing in the clearing house’s on-deck area at the FIPT when the Brazil IPSC National Champion came out of the door on the 2nd floor, preparing to go down the outside stairs. He holstered the Glock he was shooting and promptly shot himself in the right thigh. The holster had caught the tip of his trigger finger between it and the trigger as he pressed the gun into the holster. I was watching him when he shot himself, a movie I have never stopped replaying in my head. Getting excited with a striker fired gun without a safety can be disastrous.
    Ed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTPhoon View Post
    I carry a Sig 239 or 229 and when I reholster (Mitch Rosen Cry Once Pay Once) I put my thumb on the hammer/slide and if anything moves I stop and correct the problem.
    Re-holstering my Glock (especially IWB while sitting in my vehicle and attempting to be "indiscreet") is probably the time I feel most (for lack of a better word) "vulnerable" during weapon manipulations. I perform all the standard advice, such as what is stated above by Mr. Gonzales, but I like the additional technique that LTPhoon uses/mentions above for people carrying hammer-fired guns. Not having that "safety" procedure available when holstering a Striker-Fired gun, I was thrilled when I first learned the details of the (then still a prototype) "Gadget", and later when I learned that "The Gadget" (Striker Control Device, or S.C.D) would begin being manufactured for the public (I was a fairly late contributor to the "crowd-funding" campaign they used for its development). And ever since receiving and testing, and verifying the function on the initial one I purchased, I haven't owned a "carry" Glock without a S.C.D. installed.

Yes, they can be considered "very pricey" for such a small item, but the "peace of mind" alone when I can "thumb" the rear of my slide when I need to IWB re-holster in my car, makes it worth every penny (to me, at least. Others may think it's a waste of money). And of course, that "peace of mind" is nothing compared to being less likely to have a situation like Recondo 101 mentions.

Feedback Score
    Good reminder.
    This is one reason I reholster IWB off the body, then insert the holstered gun into my waist band.
    C-clips, j-clips, and directional snaps make it pretty easy.

Feedback Score
    Why I favor a safety, unless the trigger is relatively heavy, such as a revolver or DA/SA auto.
    I know a man who blew his own leg off by pulling his shotgun to himself by the barrel, across his bed. A bit of sheet got inside the trigger guard and pushed the trigger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shep854 View Post
    Why I favor a safety, unless the trigger is relatively heavy, such as a revolver or DA/SA auto.
    I know a man who blew his own leg off by pulling his shotgun to himself by the barrel, across his bed. A bit of sheet got inside the trigger guard and pushed the trigger.
    I'm sorry to hear that, but it took a lot of safety 'slips' to make that happen.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, but it took a lot of safety 'slips' to make that happen.
    Sure did—and he was an instructor!
    He thought he had unloaded the gun prior to cleaning, then got distracted.
    Complacency is a constant threat.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Definitely makes having a hammer fired gun seem like a good carry piece. That said, I try to holster off-body like Megademic said.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast