The Perils of Concealed Carry

During a recent class, we discussed some tragic accidents involving concealed carry. I'm not sure they could have been avoided, but hopefully folks can avoid making the same mistakes.

When Baggy is Bad
One of the problems we see in our Concealed Carry Tactics classes occurs when students are attempting to re-holster. The concealment garment loosens and gets funneled into the holster's mouth prior to the pistol re-holstering. The concealment garment gets shoved further into the holster applying pressure to all parts of the gun—to include the trigger. One of the most important features you look for in a holster is a trigger guard. In other words, while the pistol is holstered no object can gain access to the trigger. While you might have chosen an excellent holster that meets this objective, shoving a piece of your concealment garment into the holster as you re-holster will override your efforts.

No One is Exempt
You don't have to be practicing from concealed to experience this issue. In fact, we brief students at the beginning of all our classes that the aspect of re-holstering must be conducted in a safe and controlled manner—such as ensuring there are no foreign objects near the mouth of the holster. The most common culprit is the bottom hem of your shirt, but other items can include drawstring hems and zipper pulls. In fact, I have a good friend who experienced a negligent discharge as a result of a zipper pull. Crazy stuff can happen, so be safe and in control. Next, observe the re-holstering process. Look down to ensure there is no foreign object near the mouth of the holster. As you gently re-holster, be on the lookout for any resistance. If you feel more resistance than normal, STOP! Identify what is causing the resistance, address the issue, and carry on.

There is No Prize for Fastest Re-holster
If you find yourself in a real world situation, consider the fact you will be highly stressed. These procedures will help ensure that when you re-holster you will do so safely. Before you re-holster, verify the scene is safe or the target is secure. Once you have completed all scans, consider performing some ammunition management. After you complete that final step, slowly, very slowly, re-holster. Yes, I do suggest you observe the process, but keep things in perspective. The reason you are re-holstering is either you are being relieved, there is no longer a lethal threat, or you are off the proverbial “X." If you have any reason to believe there was still a threat to your safety, then you wouldn't be re-holstering. So, in this case, taking your eyes off your battle space to safely re-holster is the tactical imperative.

Protect the Trigger
For those who carry “off body,” I first strongly encourage you to reconsider. I realize it is more difficult for women to carry concealed and this is an option for them. During our Concealed Carry Combative classes, we see so many off body ideas go the way of the dinosaur. If you carry off body, I strongly encourage the trigger still be protected. That means light sheaths or, in some cases, a minimalist holster. I love the Vanguard 2 from Raven Concealment, and use them more times than I can count. In the case of “off body,” I would affix the holster to an anchor point so when I obtain my firing grip and retrieve the pistol from my off body concealment, it separates from the holster on the draw stroke.

It is easy to second guess what happened in these events, but I am more inclined to remind folks of proper concealment protocol. Always re-holster safely and under control.

Jeff Gonzales
Trident Concepts, LLC

Jeff Gonzales is a regular, guest contributor to the M4C Newsletter and Forum. Not getting the newsletter? Click here.

Feel free to leave your comments and thoughts on the article below.