Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat earther dies after crash-landing homemade rocket

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Flat earther dies after crash-landing homemade rocket

From the stupid hurts files:

"Mad" Mike Hughes, 64, crash-landed his steam-powered rocket shortly after take-off near Barstow on Saturday.

A video on social media shows a rocket being fired into the sky before plummeting to the ground nearby.

Hughes was well-known for his belief that the Earth was flat. He hoped to prove his theory by going to space.

Saturday's launch was reportedly filmed as part of Homemade Astronauts, a new TV series about amateur rocket makers to be aired on the US Science Channel. The project had to be carried out on a tight budget.

With the help of his partner Waldo Stakes, Hughes was trying to reach an altitude of 5,000ft (1,525m) while riding his steam-powered rocket, according to Space.com.

In the video of the launch, a parachute can be seen trailing behind the rocket, apparently deployed too early, seconds after take-off.

In a tweet, the Science Channel said Hughes had died pursuing his dream.

Cont:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51602655?
    Last edited by WillBrink; 02-23-20 at 09:37. Reason: spelling
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    5,000 ft Hu? Wouldn’t a Cessna 152 do the same thing, much cheaper and much safer?
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    5,000 ft Hu? Wouldn’t a Cessna 152 do the same thing, much cheaper and much safer?
    Or a $99 Alegient Airline ticket to wherever. LOL

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    2020 Darwin Award candidate.

Clearly, 5,000 ft was his goal because at 5,000 ft AGL the earth does look flat so he would’ve gotten the answer he was looking for.

I laughed at one of the comments in the video link:

“The Earth is still round. Mad Mike Hughes is flat. RIP.”

Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I guess his intricate calculations for the flight were based on the earth being flat. Oops.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm probably getting this guy mixed up with another goofball, but if memory serves, he wasn't actually a flat earther. He was actually just trying to set a record for steam-powered flight but needed cash. The Flat earth crowd helped fund him when he started using that as his raison d'ętre. Anybody else remember hearing that, or am I just losing it?
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Win stupid prizes...

Hughes has repeatedly tried to launch homemade rockets and actually did launch an earlier rocket in 2018. During that flight, which reached a maximum height of 1,875 feet (572 m), Hughes suffered compressed vertebrae but still aimed to launch ever higher.
    Flat Earthers are probably the most ignorant people I think I've every heard of.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The BBC article says:

“The daredevil, who lived in Apple Valley, made headlines internationally when he announced his intention to prove his theory that the Earth was flat.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Win stupid prizes...

Flat Earthers are probably the most ignorant people I think I've every heard of.
    The make moon landing deniers look smart.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Parachute deployed early. Same thing happened to Evel Knievel jumping the Snake River. Will we never learn?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast