Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Generator Questions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I know this is a stretch but does anyone know anything about Predator Brand?
    I don't do harbor freight for hand or power tools, but there are some good reviews.
    2000 watt super quiet on sale for 449 + a 20% off sounds pretty good unless it's crap.
    I absolutely abhor Harbor Freight for their cheap quality tools. So when I was looking for generator for camping, I completely dismissed their Predator series. As I kept researching, Predators kept popping up with positive reviews, so against my judgement, I decided to buy their 3500 inverter generator.
    I have to say that I’m pretty impressed. The thing runs great & is very quiet. It powers my 15k BTU AC unit fine, along with the rest of my camper appliances.
    The only problem I had was the spark arrester getting fouled. As long as it is kept clean, or removed all together, it’s been great.

I know this doesn’t answer your question about the 2000W unit but if it’s anything like the 3500, you shouldn’t have any issues. Not sure how easy it is to source replacement parts either, so that may be an issue. Otherwise, you can’t go wrong with the Honda or Yamaha brands. Those are proven quality units.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I absolutely abhor Harbor Freight for their cheap quality tools. So when I was looking for generator for camping, I completely dismissed their Predator series. As I kept researching, Predators kept popping up with positive reviews, so against my judgement, I decided to buy their 3500 inverter generator.
    I have to say that I’m pretty impressed. The thing runs great & is very quiet. It powers my 15k BTU AC unit fine, along with the rest of my camper appliances.
    The only problem I had was the spark arrester getting fouled. As long as it is kept clean, or removed all together, it’s been great.

I know this doesn’t answer your question about the 2000W unit but if it’s anything like the 3500, you shouldn’t have any issues. Not sure how easy it is to source replacement parts either, so that may be an issue. Otherwise, you can’t go wrong with the Honda or Yamaha brands. Those are proven quality units.
    Thanks for your thoughts on your Predator. I have generally the same view of Harbor Freight tools - I only trust a handful of their products. The Predator seems pretty highly regarded in the travel trailer community that I belong to, and we've been considering one. May finally be time to pick one up this weekend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My pick is the little Honda. One of the competitors might not be a bad choice either but the Honda seems to have earned it's reputation for reliability.

Being quiet is never a bad feature. It's nice to be less annoying and often very nice when the power is out not to attract attention.

The biggest thing most people seem to not discuss is fuel consumption. The little Hondas sip gas compared to the larger generators and since storing or getting gas at certain times can be difficult fuel efficiency is important. They can also be converted to run on propane which provides some nice flexibility.
    Last edited by Sean_gt; 02-28-20 at 21:26. Reason: .

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I don;t have a gen. But do have a Honda lawn mower. 13 years, lives outside covered with a tarp in central VA. Never treat the gas, rarely change oil, two or three times maybe. Starts on one pull 90%. 2 pulls 100%. The only time it would not start was the filter was so clogged with dirt it couldn't breath. I've mulched 3' tall piles of leaves with dull blades. The only thing I do notice is it -loves- 93 Octane.

Also I seem to recall the low budget RV crowd like Yamaha.

If Honda suited my power needs I would not hesitate. I buy a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight and they are getting a lot better these days but a high dollar item I just couldn't put in front a company like Honda or Yamaha. I get what I expect from HF. For me that means it will get me through the job at hand. Honda... I can abuse it and a decade later it's still running like new.
    Last edited by tb-av; 02-28-20 at 23:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it’s pretty well known & accepted that the Honda & Yamaha generators are at the top for quality & parts availability. You’ll be hard pressed to find anyone who disputes that. You can probably add Onan to that list also. Generac & Rigid also make some decent stuff too.
    However, for people looking for decent budget units, some Predator & Champion models may suit their needs just fine. I consider them more throwaway units but you can buy 4 or 5 them for the cost of a comparable Honda and you can milk them to last 7-10 years, it’s probably worth the try.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Converted my generator to natural gas/propane or gasoline

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I know this is a stretch but does anyone know anything about Predator Brand?
    I don't do harbor freight for hand or power tools, but there are some good reviews.
    2000 watt super quiet on sale for 449 + a 20% off sounds pretty good unless it's crap.
    I have had two of the Predator generators.

The first was a 4000 watt 120/220volt unit. Used it for construction for several years. I also used it during a several week power outage as a moble power source for friends and family. I would drive to their home, turn off the main power, wire it into the panel and let them, get some light, charge devices, take hot showers, cool down the fridge, etc for a few hours before moving on to another home. I gave it to my business partner when I left for Alaska.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bOPQKeiEfA

I have a Predator 2500 watt inverted generator that I originally bought for a specific job where I needed a smaller generator to move around with me during an exterior condo complex job. Ran everyday for several months powering anything from a battery charger to a table saw. I now use that to feed my home during a power outage. It has enough power for lights, minor electronics and to run the blower motor in the gas furnace during the winter. It's not super quiet but it isn't loud either.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwmVuuOtJQI
    Last edited by TomPenguin5145; 03-03-20 at 12:55.

Feedback Score
    The Honda eu3000i is a sweet little portable generator. Two people can easily carry it. Super quiet, so if people can’t hear it then they won’t be asking to borrow it. If you’re not running a high amp start piece of equipment you can put it in eco-mode, where it just sips fuel.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm looking into a dual fuel generator. Pulsar (ford), champion, sportsman, etc.
    Is getting a generator that is too big for your application a big problem?

I thought I wanted just a small workhorse to run extension cords to a couple of full size refrigerators and a AC window unit during post hurricane power outages.
    However I may go beyond that, and want to hook it up to my house power panel some day. So, my main concern is getting a generator that is too much power for what I initially need i.e. I'll just be wasting fuel if I understand things correctly; running a large generator at low loads is inefficient. Or am I incorrect, running a large generator at low loads is actually fuel efficient?
    I do NOT want to be under-powered should I undergo the process to hook it into my house electrical panel and power 3 fridge/freezers, range, microwave, AC unit and lights/fans.

Right now there is a ford generator that grabbed my attention but it's the biggest one available , like 9000w I believe. It is the most cost effective and has the most positive reviews online. I would opt for the 6500w size, but they are unavailable now.

As far as I'm concerned, having a dual fuel gen on hand will help me out no matter what, just trying to decide how I will and will not use it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    If you have the extra cash, I would look into generac permanent generators. I was quoted ~$6000 for a whole house 22000w back up genny installed and all. Decided not to go with it bc we plan on building in a few years, but will have one there. If not I’d look into the small Honda’s you can link together and very portable

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast