Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FN SCAR issues

Feedback Score

FN SCAR issues

So I'm in Las Vegas for a wedding, and I decided to go to Battlefield Vegas and the Vegas machine gun experience.
    I went to Battlefield Vegas and noticed how both the SCAR L and H are on the wall. I spoke with an employee about them and he said they're excellent firearms and run without a problem. (I did not shoot the SCAR here).
    So I was talking with my fiance's dad who is a retired Navy Seal of 20+ years. I told him I had an appointment at machine gun Vegas to shoot the SCAR H, he said "the SCAR is a piece of shit" I was like whoa! I just sat there and listened, he said they have been know to fail for a number of reasons and he personally prefers the HK91.
    So today I went to machine gun Vegas and asked to shoot the SCAR H, the guy (I'm assuming owner) said "it's actually going to be the SCAR L". He told me the SCAR H they had blew up and it happens frequently. He said the lugs inside the upper receiver are the same size as the SCAR L and they don't last long with 7.62x51 NATO. Also he said the SCAR L is just fine, and the H probably is too as long as you only shoot semi auto.
    He made a comment about the SCAR 20 and how the beefed up the lugs because of this issue.
    Anyway, it seems off that Battlefield Vegas would have such a great experience compared to machine gun Vegas. My fiance's dad is a solid guy and he definitely knows what he's talking about.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by militarymoron; 02-24-20 at 17:35. Reason: thread moved to correct forum

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    I realize this isn't an M4 so I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

So I'm in Las Vegas for a wedding, and I decided to go to Battlefield Vegas and the Vegas machine gun experience.
    I went to Battlefield Vegas and noticed how both the SCAR L and H are on the wall. I spoke with an employee about them and he said they're excellent firearms and run without a problem. (I did not shoot the SCAR here).
    So I was talking with my fiance's dad who is a retired Navy Seal of 20+ years. I told him I had an appointment at machine gun Vegas to shoot the SCAR H, he said "the SCAR is a piece of shit" I was like whoa! I just sat there and listened, he said they have been know to fail for a number of reasons and he personally prefers the HK91.
    So today I went to machine gun Vegas and asked to shoot the SCAR H, the guy (I'm assuming owner) said "it's actually going to be the SCAR L". He told me the SCAR H they had blew up and it happens frequently. He said the lugs inside the upper receiver are the same size as the SCAR L and they don't last long with 7.62x51 NATO. Also he said the SCAR L is just fine, and the H probably is too as long as you only shoot semi auto.
    He made a comment about the SCAR 20 and how the beefed up the lugs because of this issue.
    Anyway, it seems off that Battlefield Vegas would have such a great experience compared to machine gun Vegas. My fiance's dad is a solid guy and he definitely knows what he's talking about.
    FA with a 17 is pointless. Maybe not pointless from the POV of a guy who plays COD and wants to just blast away, but from any other view I can think of, its not a useful feature and may as well have been deleted.

Before anyone asks, yes, I've fired them FA both with and w/o a can.

If someone has a vision where FA use is practical on a 17, please forgive me and post up what it is.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I asked the guy at machine gun Vegas how long a bolt normally lasts on an m4. He said it varies by brand, and a decent one can usually go up to 50,000 rounds.

I've seen people saying 10,000 to 15,000 all over the internet!

Feedback Score
    I asked the guy at machine gun Vegas how long a bolt normally lasts on an m4. He said it varies by brand, and a decent one can usually go up to 50,000 rounds.

I've seen people saying 10,000 to 15,000 all over the internet!

I'd imagine that would depend on a lot of factors. If you're shooting frequently, and you're putting more rounds down range when you shoot and at a more rapid pace, the parts are going to wear out quicker. It's like a car. 100,000 miles on a car that you took on rough roads and beat the tar out of is different than 100,000 miles on a car that you only took out to cruise around in on nice days.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you look into the publicly available info on the SOF MK20 6.5CM adoption you'll see overwhelming evidence that it's the most reliable 308/6.5CM semi-auto tested to date by DOD. I don't know about full auto use but that's borderline irrelevant for a DMR/SPR type rifle IMO (I have a select fire L and H FWIW).

The above info is quantifiable data. My $0.02 is that any semi auto gas or piston 308/6.5CM/260Rem gun is going to be less reliable than a 5.56/300BLK version of said gun due to volume/speed/etc... but the SCAR is the best in terms of a mix of reliability and precision I know of to date.

Since I'm sure folks will call me a shill I feel it necessary to point out that FN hates my channel and in no way as ever supported it. I did have the pleasure of using the SCAR H a good bit in my time in the military FWIW.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    If you look into the publicly available info on the SOF MK20 6.5CM adoption you'll see overwhelming evidence that it's the most reliable 308/6.5CM semi-auto tested to date by DOD. I don't know about full auto use but that's borderline irrelevant for a DMR/SPR type rifle IMO (I have a select fire L and H FWIW).

The above info is quantifiable data. My $0.02 is that any semi auto gas or piston 308/6.5CM/260Rem gun is going to be less reliable than a 5.56/300BLK version of said gun due to volume/speed/etc... but the SCAR is the best in terms of a mix of reliability and precision I know of to date.

Since I'm sure folks will call me a shill I feel it necessary to point out that FN hates my channel and in no way as ever supported it. I did have the pleasure of using the SCAR H a good bit in my time in the military FWIW.
    Thanks for sharing, you always have such great concise content. I was just surprised mostly to hear a seal team guy say this stuff. I gather that in certain circles it's not as highly regarded

Last edited by MikhailBarracuda91; 02-24-20 at 22:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So today I went to machine gun Vegas and asked to shoot the SCAR H, the guy (I'm assuming owner) said "it's actually going to be the SCAR L". He told me the SCAR H they had blew up and it happens frequently. He said the lugs inside the upper receiver are the same size as the SCAR L and they don't last long with 7.62x51 NATO.
    What lugs, in particular, was he talking about?

As for the rest, "SEALs hate SCARs" has been thrown around enough to be an internet trope on par with "1911s jamming/two World Wars." Lotta people love to hate on the SCARs and have for well over a decade now. Some of it is legitimate, a lot of it isn't. I take most of it with a grain of salt. I remember being told before I bought either of mine that they were "done" in military service because the H's barrels kept exploding; a decade later, SCARs are still in service around the world, and I love mine. *shrug*
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing, you always have such great concise content. I was just surprised mostly to hear a seal team guy say this stuff. I gather that in certain circles it's not as highly regarded

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    What lugs, in particular, was he talking about?

As for the rest, "SEALs hate SCARs" has been thrown around enough to be an internet trope on par with "1911s jamming/two World Wars." Lotta people love to hate on the SCARs and have for well over a decade now. Some of it is legitimate, a lot of it isn't. I take most of it with a grain of salt. I remember being told before I bought either of mine that they were "done" in military service because the H's barrels kept exploding; a decade later, SCARs are still in service around the world, and I love mine. *shrug*
    I posted about a year ago that Shawn Ryan from Vigilance Elite did a video entitled "Why SEALS hate the SCAR" and the forum did not care for it at all. Maybe there is something to it for guys that have used it in combat? Maybe not.

I really enjoyed the SCAR platform, the one time I've fired it

Here is the video for those that have not seen it.

Last edited by WickedWillis; 02-25-20 at 11:12.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    They are ugly and made with toy grade plastic at the hinges and latches. Plus lack of shoulder for a suppressor, can't swap stock assembly for one with an aluminum mount without risking damage to the rear trunnion bracket screws, retarded gas port grommet to "fine tune" for your specific ammo etc. It's a complete design failure from the ground up.

Feedback Score
    I genuinely didn't know they hated them lol. He made it sound like he wouldn't depend on one. But he speaks very highly of the AK platform.

He definitely knows his stuff, he was an instructor for 10 years as well

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast