Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FN SCAR issues

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    I genuinely didn't know they hated them lol. He made it sound like he wouldn't depend on one. But he speaks very highly of the AK platform.
    He definitely knows his stuff, he was an instructor for 10 years as well
    If he likes the AK platform, then buy a 751 SAPR for him and he'll think you're the best son-in-law ever. It's the ultimate evolution in 308Win.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    If he likes the AK platform, then buy a 751 SAPR for him and he'll think you're the best son-in-law ever. It's the ultimate evolution in 308Win.
    He lives in San Diego so that'll never happen lol. He's pro gun, but I can tell that he was in the service so long that individual liberty means something completely different to him and me.
    I guess that's a sacrifice that people don't consider, some guys/gals enlist when they're 17 and that's the bulk of their life experience.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was never issued a SCAR, but I seem to remember that they originally had a sort of “inherent-to-the-design” harmonics issue that keep ruining variable zoom optics. Am I making that up? If not, did they ever sort that out?

I did also hear from a couple friends that they didn’t care for the charging handle, as they felt like it was more frequently hung up on their gear when they would sling the weapon to free up both hands. Can’t comment on that, but it seems plausible.

Timely thread for me, as an LGS has one at a great price, used LNIB. It has my interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I work with various teams and the only thing I’ve ever heard of them not liking was the plastic hinge assembly. I saw a photo of one that failed during an op and they hilariously taped a stick to it, essentially making it a fixed stock. That was not with the newer DMR style MK20 stock might I add.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    I was never issued a SCAR, but I seem to remember that they originally had a sort of “inherent-to-the-design” harmonics issue that keep ruining variable zoom optics. Am I making that up? If not, did they ever sort that out?
    The SCAR, especially the H/17S, has a known issue of "eating" optics. This is apparently due to how the receiver flexes during recoil and is primarily a problem with multi-piece mounts. The problem may extend beyond that, however, as I've seen claims that optics in single piece mounts have been destroyed. It's far from a universal problem, though, as I've never run into it with either of mine. I've used EOTechs, an ACOG, and even a Burris MTAC, so I guess luck of the draw might play a role as well?
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:38.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    I've heard it's the reverse recoil signature that destroys optics. Something to do with it when the bolt slams shut.
    Correct. Now that the SCAR is more popular in the market *most* modern optics made my reputable companies are built to withstand it these days though.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    As I recall, the reputation of the SCAR for eating optics came at a time when most of them were wearing EoTech 553s and Elcan Spectre DRs: two optics not well-known for their durability when they’re not being worn on SCARs. The EoTech was so bad that it eventually got canned, replaced with the EXPS. The Elcans, as I recall, were strengthened.

I don’t recall ever hearing about any issues with the ACOGs and Aimpoints that predated the EoTechs and Elcans. Or the Nightforces that were contemporaries of both sets of optics.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Vortex Razors have held up on them very well too. Especially when paired with the Geissele SOCOM mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast