Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparison of Safety Levers

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Placing this in AR gen, I don't see it in here. The only thing technical is Lysander's replies.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Data in the case presented by you means nothing if the parts you are comparing are NOT the same size and shape. Open your eyes. I am assuming you are not blind but I could be wrong.
    The point is that there are a multitude of threads that say what amounts to "they're all the same", or "I know this one or that one is better, because it looks better", or my best friends second cousin said...

So I figured I would record the differences in the parts I have and make decisions based on what I find.

Just because i have only posted a couple of data points, doesn't mean that is all I'm going to look at. Each data point is just a data point. I started on weight, because for now that was the simplest. I'm Not drawing any conclusions until I look at all the data collected as a whole. Then I can start asking the why part.

Does heavier mean better, not necessarily. does thicker metal make it better, not necessarily. Do dimensions in non critical area mean better, again not necessarily.

Form should be a function of reliability for a given purpose.

So far, all about all I've said is of the small sample of parts I have available, there are quantifiable differences. Some of my comments are thinking out loud, not final conclusions.

As for comparing apples to oranges, I'm not, they are the same functional part. The why they are different comes later. So saying its meaningless only applies if you look at one data point and start jumping to conclusions by assuming other variables not measured yet.

If you guys don't want me to share what I'm finding as I go along, I wont. I just thought some folks would find it interesting.

I can always just make a post that says "Bushmaster sucks", or that company sucks because they make stuff in Taiwan....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I like the Colt/Schmid thumb lever extends to the center of the drum. Stronger.
    Same here, although I never had an issue with the old version. Didn't they upgrade the safety in the 2000s some time? I still have guns with the old version.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    If you guys don't want me to share what I'm finding as I go along, I wont. I just thought some folks would find it interesting.

I can always just make a post that says "Bushmaster sucks", or that company sucks because they make stuff in Taiwan....
    I'm interested in the back and forth which gives me points to ponder.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    The point is that there are a multitude of threads that say what amounts to "they're all the same", or "I know this one or that one is better, because it looks better", or my best friends second cousin said...

So I figured I would record the differences in the parts I have and make decisions based on what I find.
    If that was what you wished to do a simple picture of the three parts next to each other and a explanation of how they are different would have been more to the point. Showing just the weight difference implies that there is something about the weight that is important, when in fact, the weight difference is a by-product of the shape difference.

Just say'n.

OH, and as to the large thumb-rest safeties . . .

You will find a majority of the cheaper parts kits come with that style, as it is more conducive to MIM production. The "green" part is weak right where the thumb rest meets the disc-part with the original design, the thick junction makes it easier to handle green parts during MIM. After baking, the strength difference is minimal from a cast part.

(Personally, I prefer the original design, I mean it lasted 40+ years and nobody complained that safeties broke all the time.)
    Last edited by lysander; 02-26-20 at 20:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    If that was what you wished to do a simple picture of the three parts next to each other and a explanation of how they are different would have been more to the point. Showing just the weight difference implies that there is something about the weight that is important, when in fact, the weight difference is a by-product of the shape difference.

Just say'n.

OH, and as to the large thumb-rest safeties . . .

You will find a majority of the cheaper parts kits come with that style, as it is more conducive to MIM production. The "green" part is weak right where the thumb rest meets the disc-part with the original design, the thick junction makes it easier to handle green parts during MIM. After baking, the strength difference is minimal from a cast part.

(Personally, I prefer the original design, I mean it lasted 40+ years and nobody complained that safeties broke all the time.)
    What do you mean by the "green" part?
    Also, is MIM common in LPK components?
    Last edited by prepare; 02-27-20 at 04:22.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What do you mean by the "green" part?
    Also, is MIM common in LPK components?
    By green he means before the part is cooked. This video explains the process>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmLYj3GZsx8

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I agree with lysander, this data without context isn't exactly useful. Now, if you have drawings to compare them to and the ability to provide a detailed inspection report and positive material identification that showed irregularities/differences that might be more useful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12