Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss shooting 300 meters

Feedback Score

Swiss shooting 300 meters

Switzerland is littered with rifle and pistol shooting ranges. After compulsory military service was introduced (in 1848), it also became compulsory to practice outside of service in 1907, once a year. This was organised by shooting societies (clubs).

The 300 meters distance for rifles was imposed as early as 1874 during the Federal shooting competition, and literally every town had a shooting range.

This is what the range looks like

First challenge is to make sure you’re aiming at your target, not the neighbour’s one.

However you are only allowed to shoot Swiss ordnance rifles, StGw 57 & 90, and the older straight pull rifles and carbines. There is also a Match bolt rifle category shooting the 7.5 Swiss cartridge. Open sights only.

But every now and then there is an open rifle day, where virtually all rifles are allowed, up to .50 BMG (this one with a silencer), including scoped ones. It’s an open day (well morning really), no competition, just leisure, fun, and possibly sighting in.

I brought three rifles, Colt Delta Hbar, Norinco M14 in an archangel chassis, and my Chinese Dragunov

My buddy brought a scoped StGw 57 and a scoped K31

The targets setup is a mix of precision targets and metallic gongs

Here’s my buddy helping with sighting in the Colt

and the M14

He was not confortable with the Dragunov

The M14 was fairly inconsistent, cheap rifle, cheap chassis, but I’ll still work on accurizing it

The Dragunov performed quite well, however it’s scope is more a combat scope than a precision one, good for the gongs, for the precision target not so much.

The Colt really shone. After sighting it it, it was very accurate and consistent. The ten ring is 10 cm, a tad under four inches.

Now I need to get a better trigger, Geissele probably, as the stock trigger pull is 3 kg (6 lbs 10 oz).

I also had a nasty kaboom with .308 Tula ammo, I had six rounds in the bottom of a box, the first one blew up, and the mag plate acted as a fuse. Unpleasant but I was unhurt, so still a great morning of fun with the last 45 minutes spent hitting gongs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you near any of the ranges where the firing line is on one side of a highway and the targets are on the other side?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really like those monitors that show where you're hitting the target! That is high speed.

Feedback Score
    Man, the Swiss got it going on!
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score

Swiss shooting 300 meters

Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Are you near any of the ranges where the firing line is on one side of a highway and the targets are on the other side?
    This particular one has the firing line along the road, but they have protections.

My local club’s 300 m range shoots above the soccer pitch, the Swiss flag on it means : “DON’T PLAY SOCCER NOW”

Last edited by OLIAR15; 02-29-20 at 04:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I really like those monitors that show where you're hitting the target! That is high speed.
    Pretty standard equipment on Swiss ranges. The maker, Polytronic, is a Swiss company

https://www.polytronic.ch/en

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by artoter View Post
    Man, the Swiss got it going on!
    Been prepping for a foreign invasion for centuries

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That is really nice! That target system saves a ton of time and waiting for target set up, instant feedback.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post
    This particular one has the firing line along the road, but they have protections.

My local club’s 300 m range shoots above the soccer pitch, the Swiss flag on it means : “DON’T PLAY SOCCER NOW”

I wish we would do that here. Golf courses could actually be a fun place to have around lol

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    That is really nice! That target system saves a ton of time and waiting for target set up, instant feedback.
    Looking at terrain and things I have heard him mention, think this guy lives in between us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast