Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Strap Tape Brands

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Front Strap Tape Brands

Picked up a Champion Operator today. Before I sent another gun to get checkered I tried stair tape from Home Depot, but it was too thick and stiff. It didn't stick well or hold the shape of the front strap.

What specific brand of tape do you all use on your front straps?
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There are various flavors of skateboard grip tape that can work. It's probably flexible enough.

I also have some rubbery tape for guns from Amazon. It's not as grippy a skate board tape, but it won't chew up clothing. (Talon Grip - $11 for a small sheet... )
    Last edited by markm; 02-27-20 at 15:15.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If there's a skate shop near you, you could likely get a small piece free, or buy a square foot or so if you don't want to order.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Talon grips makes a tape strip for 1911 front straps, in both rubber and sandpaper versions:

https://talongungrips.com/gun-grips/...1/front-strap/

Still, if sandpaper is what you want, buying a roll of skateboard tape and cutting your own isn't much more expensive and will leave you with lots of extra material for later.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like spray grit.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod1140.aspx

There are some non-firearms versions on the market that may be available in some localities for about half the cost.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I got a roll of TapeKing step grip. Little thicker, but molds well, for the front of my LW Operator. Is starting to wear a little thin right around the area where it meets the bottom of the trigger guard, but it's heavy duty, and holding up great elsewhere (about a dozen range trips with it so far).
    Last edited by The_War_Wagon; 03-04-20 at 20:20. Reason: Cos; I 'r' not sech a gud speler! :-p
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score
    Walmart has skateboard tape also, it works and is pretty cheap.
    Last edited by arbninftry; 03-02-20 at 15:37. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If there's a skate shop near you, you could likely get a small piece free, or buy a square foot or so if you don't want to order.
    You don't need much. I stopped at a skateboard place & was prepared to buy a whole sheet, but when told them what I wanted it for they gave me a bunch of scraps for nuthin. I removed the grips & prepped the front strap real well, removing any trace of oil, then I cut the piece of tape so that the edges fit under the grips. I don't shoot it a lot, but the same piece has been on my Springfield RO for about 6 or 8 years.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for the advice, boys! I found a skateboard shop and they gave me a spare piece of deck tape for free, even after I offered to pay.

I prepared the front strap with acetone and it appears to have adhered pretty well. I’ll let you all know if it holds after I start wringing the crap out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast