Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TN governor announcing legislation to allow permitless carry

Feedback Score
    Bastion of freedom... not quite yet. However, Tennessee has come a long way since the draconian dark days prior to the 90s.

To give ya an idea...

Tennessee Firearms Association- Civilian Handgun Permit Law

Background

"Prior to 1989, Tennessee was a limited “open carry” state. Tennessee’s open carry law was limited to “army or navy” pistols but only if such pistols were carried openly in the hand. The statute did not allow citizens to holster the weapons or to carry these types of pistols concealed. A person would have to become a special deputy or receive a special police commission in order carry a handgun that did not fit the “army or navy” designation. These commissions were also necessary if the individual wanted to carry the weapon concealed or holstered.

In 1989, Tennessee overhauled its handgun carry laws to provide that sheriffs “may issue” a handgun carry permit to authorize “any person” to carry a handgun. This change in the law allowed a sheriff to issue handgun carry permits without having to make the person a special deputy or officer. Although the 1989 law authorized a sheriff to issue handgun carry permits there were problems. First, it did not require the sheriff to issue civilian permits. Second, the permits were only good in the county in which they were issued."

More here: https://tennesseefirearms.com/resour...ilian-permits/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post

This change in the law allowed a sheriff to issue handgun carry permits without having to make the person a special deputy or officer.
    Wish I could remember his name, but there was a Knoxville cop that retired in 1990's and then wrote a book about the more humorous experiences of his career. The special deputy thing was mentioned as primarily being used to get a criminal with connections a free pass if full time LE interacted with them while they were committing crimes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Our current permit scheme is quite pricey when you add in everything you must do to get one. Cost of the training class, prints and the permit itself runs around $250+ depending where you take your class.
    I think that's about what I paid for mine 20 years ago. The new Concealed-only permit is less expensive. I've seen the online class advertised as low as $14.99. The online class isn't required if ya got a DD214. Cost of the new permit is $60 including digital fingerprints.

I think a lot of folks will continue to obtain and renew permits for state reciprocity requirements. Wife and I have permits. Chattanooga is on the Georgia line. We're back and forth all the time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just got a text alert that Tennessee has a rally March 10th starting at 8:00 am at the state Capitol.

Went to one there just before you all got concealed carry passed....think it was summer 1994? On a Saturday with a very large turn out, the court yard was packed.

If anyone hasn't been, the TN military museum, while not as big as some, was very well done and I would assume has improved with time.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-03-20 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good video and efforts by the T. Rex Arms crew.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Permitless carry is the the way it should be. The right to bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Amen brother.

To the people who think its unsafe for Police Officers, all of us (cops) think or should be thinking that each person we deal with is armed anyway.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Amen brother.

To the people who think its unsafe for Police Officers
    This has always been such a BS line. In 26 years I can't think of having an issue with anyone lawfully armed. They have actually been quite helpful. David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12