Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $150 for 3 Pmags????

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Exactly. Why let panicky fools determine the market for the rest of us? The laws of supply and demand become warped under a circumstance like this. The SOB is not even in office yet.

I appreciate anyone who does not price gouge or find other ways to take advantage just because they can. A slight increase maybe, that's fair. But to gouge, no good. And yes, Capitalism fans, price gouging does exist. Look it up.
    Clearly "the rest of us" are also "panicky fools" if they are worrying about what "panicky fools" are paying for their supplies they waited until the last minute to buy. To go a little further, the people paying the high prices and receiving product are probably not the "panicky fools" since they are doing what they must to get what they need, sure they are panicky. The "panicky fools" are the ones who need a product in high demand and expect it to be available at the lower demand prices and never get the product. The "rest of us" are sitting back waiting for the prices to go down or availability to go up to purchase and if neither happens, oh well we are still prepared but it would have been nice to have a couple more windowed Pmags. :2cent:

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'd be willing to bet that everyone here has enough Pmags on hand to last through the current drought. If you didn't stock up when you had the chance, you're going to be paying a premium.

I can't really blame Grant for seeing where things go. Maybe starting the bidding at $20 was a bit over the top from our perspective but if there is a sucker out there, oh well. Grant isn't forcing anyone to buy. That doesn't mean I'm going to buy from him either.

It's not gouging if people are willing to pay, and the market as such is reflective of the prices. It's simply supply and demand. Pmags (and mags in general) are in high demand and short supply. It's more akin to speculation, betting that prices will go up, and they might be proven correct.

When a bit of the shock wears off, supply will either rise or fall. If it rises prices will go back down, if it falls, $60 may seem cheap.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatt View Post
    Clearly "the rest of us" are also "panicky fools" if they are worrying about what "panicky fools" are paying for their supplies they waited until the last minute to buy. To go a little further, the people paying the high prices and receiving product are probably not the "panicky fools" since they are doing what they must to get what they need, sure they are panicky. The "panicky fools" are the ones who need a product in high demand and expect it to be available at the lower demand prices and never get the product. The "rest of us" are sitting back waiting for the prices to go down or availability to go up to purchase and if neither happens, oh well we are still prepared but it would have been nice to have a couple more windowed Pmags. :2cent:

Say what now??

Listen, I think I get the meaning of what you are trying to say here, but that doesn't change the fact that some are over-reacting too early. That over-reaction is driving up prices to an extent that is becoming asinine. Sellers that cater to the madness by seeking an otherwise unjustified profit are only exasperating the situation. And what you say some "need" now I say they just think they need now. Why, because they are acting like panicky...people.

So, yes, "the rest of us" will likely sit back and wait if we have all we need. I see this as a false alarm...for now. Doesn't mean that one or two years down the line I won't be panicking myself at some point. Now just doesn't seem to be the time. Therefore I would suggest we keep cool heads here until the situation warrants.

I will say that if a ban could be passed in, let's say, six months from now (which I do not believe is possible), then buying what is available today would be wise. I just believe we have much more time than that, considering the economic and international situations right now. Guns won't be that high a priority right away.

Just my $0.02 as well.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Say what now??

Listen, I think I get the meaning of what you are trying to say here, but that doesn't change the fact that some are over-reacting too early. That over-reaction is driving up prices to an extent that is becoming asinine. Sellers that cater to the madness by seeking an otherwise unjustified profit are only exasperating the situation. And what you say some "need" now I say they just think they need now. Why, because they are acting like panicky...people.

So, yes, "the rest of us" will likely sit back and wait if we have all we need. I see this as a false alarm...for now. Doesn't mean that one or two years down the line I won't be panicking myself at some point. Now just doesn't seem to be the time. Therefore I would suggest we keep cool heads here until the situation warrants.

I will say that if a ban could be passed in, let's say, six months from now (which I do not believe is possible), then buying what is available today would be wise. I just believe we have much more time than that, considering the economic and international situations right now. Guns won't be that high a priority right away.

Just my $0.02 as well.
    The problem is we don't KNOW(for sure) that people are over-reacting too early. I think the rush will pass and thing slow up a bit. But! Obama could sign an executive order on Jan 20 banning the transfer of AW, HiCaps, and so on. Sure its unconstitutional and all that but do you think dealers are going to be breaking the law while it's tied up in the courts for years with a very uncertain outcome, NO they are not. Now who was over-reacting in that case? People are doing what they need to do. I don't see what's wrong with that. And once again Grant is doing a great service to some by putting mags up for auction instead of just being SOLD-OUT because of the hoarders who would snatch up every last mag at retail prices.

I really don't get how people around here can be all about freedom, but let someone willingly pay $XX for something in very high demand and all the sudden freedom doesn't look so good.
    Last edited by hatt; 11-22-08 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    But! Obama could sign an executive order on Jan 20 banning the transfer of AW, HiCaps, and so on.
    I'm not sure where this idea comes from. It's simply not possible. Either from a structural or institutional perspective.

Executive Orders only effect members of the Executive Branch and are not law and cannot be used to interfere with otherwise lawful commerce.

Such an action would require ratification by Congress and then it's no longer an Executive Order, but a law.

In spirit I agree that we don't know what will happen, but whatever it is, it will require the legislature.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 11-22-08 at 10:23.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Originally Posted by Nathan_Bell
    The more people that I see whining like this the more I realize why we have Obama the Marxist for POTUS.

http://www.investopedia.com/universi...economics3.asp

As you have no idea of what capitalism is. The market (IE the buyer) sets the price for items, not the manufacturer or dealer, the buyer. If those magazines are worth $50 a pop to that guy there is no "Extra" proit. There can never be extra profit in an open market place. Go learn some economics then come back whining.
    Thanks for the economics lesson, professor. Perhaps you can use your vast knowledge to learn how to write and fix the U.S. economy.
    Last edited by NoBody; 11-22-08 at 15:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    I'm not sure where this idea comes from. It's simply not possible. Either from a structural or institutional perspective.

Executive Orders only effect members of the Executive Branch and are not law and cannot be used to interfere with otherwise lawful commerce.

Such an action would require ratification by Congress and then it's no longer an Executive Order, but a law.

In spirit I agree that we don't know what will happen, but whatever it is, it will require the legislature.
    So you are saying that Obama absolutely could not just sign an executive order reclassifying HiCaps as a non sporting items or something along those lines? Obama can sign anything he wants, the recourse is to take it to court. He doesn't even have to do any of this. Congress is going to be fired up about an AWB, especially early so people forget by the time the next election comes around. It could be law by Feb if they want. That was probably their biggest mistake last time. The passed the ban too close to an election. I'm glad you know what is Constitutional and all, I look at law after law being enforced and wonder how the hell they are getting away with it. I thought retroactive laws increasing penalties after the fact were unconstitutional, turns out if you add domestic violence to the language you are OK.
    Last edited by hatt; 11-22-08 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    So you are saying that Obama absolutely could not just sign an executive order reclassifying HiCaps as a non sporting items or something along those lines?
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Executive Orders are limited both Constitutionally and ALREADY through the Courts.

Obama can sign anything he wants, the recourse is to take it to court.
    He can sign anything he wants but for it to do what you say, the only thing he CAN sign is a law.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Executive Orders are limited both Constitutionally and ALREADY through the Courts.

He can sign anything he wants but for it to do what you say, the only thing he CAN sign is a law.
    To stay on topic, I'll restate my original thought to get around the unconstitutionality of an EO.

Obama could sign the bill Congress just ran through on Jan 25 banning the transfer of AW, HiCaps, and so on.
    Last edited by hatt; 11-22-08 at 10:58.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    To stay on topic, I'll restate my original thought to get around the unconstitutionality of an EO.

Obama could sign the bill Congress just ran through on Jan 25 banning the transfer of AW, HiCaps, and so on.
    Again an EO only affects the Executive Branch. It's not just unconstitutional, it would have no basis or authority.

Which bill number passed Congress? Even still no he couldn't sign it, bills passed in this Congress must be signed by this President to become law.
    For Obama to sign it, it must be passed again in the new Congress. They don't carry over into the new Congress.

I don't dispute that the Dem congress may try and renew the ban at some point (though I doubt for the next four years), but Obama would need Congressional action, he can't just sign an EO.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 11-22-08 at 11:12.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast