Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad news in the world of 1911s...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Sad news in the world of 1911s...

Attachment 61086

While I don't care for 40S&W or have any use for 460 Rowland, I do enjoy my 38 Super.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When I had a Springfield 1911 in .40 and inquired about getting mags from them, they told me to pound sand. I wonder when they started stocking them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    When I had a Springfield 1911 in .40 and inquired about getting mags from them, they told me to pound sand. I wonder when they started stocking them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I acquired some 8 round .40S&W magazines from SIG Sauer made by Wilson on clearance a few years ago. To further muddy the waters they work in my Ruger 10mm SR1911 and hold 9 rounds. There was some excess plastic around the followers that caused some issues till I sanded them with an emery board. Which may be why SIG clearanced them for cheap.

Go figure.

Feedback Score
    I can see keeping .460 Rowland on the back shelf for special requests and getting rid of .40 S&W - how good was it in a 1911 anyway?, but am really surprised by .38 Super. It's a good cartridge with a cult following.

Might be time to buy a handful of .38 Super Wilson mags for that build I've been promising myself for 20 years.

Feedback Score
    Sad news? Not really, the .40 was a needless mistake given the existence of quality 9mm and .45acp ammo; as far as .460 Rowland is concerned, well, .44 magnum is still plentiful.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sign of the times regarding these specific calibers or just a slow down in the high end 1911 market for them?

.38 super is the one that surprised me.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestRookie View Post
    Sign of the times regarding these specific calibers or just a slow down in the high end 1911 market for them?

.38 super is the one that surprised me.
    I would guess a slow down in high end 1911s. The reason I'm not as surprised to see 38 Super being chopped as I might have been is the increase in people running 9mm 1911s. If you look at the company's profile, they seem to be aggressively trying to expand beyond 1911s and hold ground there. I was actually considering one of their Beretta variants prior to the M17's adoption.

No idea how to check, but there is likely a way to look at their sales from year to year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    The reason I'm not as surprised to see 38 Super being chopped as I might have been is the increase in people running 9mm 1911s.
    Probably, except that 38Super mags often do an excellent job of feeding 9x19.

Feedback Score
    I hope they still make 38 super mags ! Always considered them to be the best in that caliber

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7spdnut View Post
    I hope they still make 38 super mags ! Always considered them to be the best in that caliber
    Have you tried the Tripp .38 super mags? I have Wilson and Tripp and IMO the are equal at least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast