Thread: Sad news in the world of 1911s...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Sad news in the world of 1911s...

Attachment 61086

While I don't care for 40S&W or have any use for 460 Rowland, I do enjoy my 38 Super.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When I had a Springfield 1911 in .40 and inquired about getting mags from them, they told me to pound sand. I wonder when they started stocking them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    When I had a Springfield 1911 in .40 and inquired about getting mags from them, they told me to pound sand. I wonder when they started stocking them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I acquired some 8 round .40S&W magazines from SIG Sauer made by Wilson on clearance a few years ago. To further muddy the waters they work in my Ruger 10mm SR1911 and hold 9 rounds. There was some excess plastic around the followers that caused some issues till I sanded them with an emery board. Which may be why SIG clearanced them for cheap.

Go figure.

Feedback Score
    I can see keeping .460 Rowland on the back shelf for special requests and getting rid of .40 S&W - how good was it in a 1911 anyway?, but am really surprised by .38 Super. It's a good cartridge with a cult following.

Might be time to buy a handful of .38 Super Wilson mags for that build I've been promising myself for 20 years.

Feedback Score
    Sad news? Not really, the .40 was a needless mistake given the existence of quality 9mm and .45acp ammo; as far as .460 Rowland is concerned, well, .44 magnum is still plentiful.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sign of the times regarding these specific calibers or just a slow down in the high end 1911 market for them?

.38 super is the one that surprised me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    but am really surprised by .38 Super. It's a good cartridge with a cult following.
    I'm surprised too, but 9x23Win is an all around better cartridge if one wants a 9mm diameter bullet. However, they don't seem to offer that either. I can understand getting rid of the 40S&W given that the 1911 will allow for 10mm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I'm surprised too, but 9x23Win is an all around better cartridge if one wants a 9mm diameter bullet.
    Stop making sense - 9x23Win was entirely too logical/rational a caliber to be successful, unfortunately. It would be cool if it made a resurgence though, as it's a hot-rod of a round... I doubt that will happen, but I can dream...
    Last edited by Leftie; 06-10-20 at 10:01.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Attachment 61086

While I don't care for 40S&W or have any use for 460 Rowland, I do enjoy my 38 Super.
    Got an error message when trying to look at the attachment.

Thought I would be able to see it when I registered but nope...

No worries, Glad to finally be a member here so that I can participate in the conversations.

460 Rowland becomes much more fun when you roll your own. A guy can save a fortune reloading for a round like this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With regard to .38 super magazines; Dawson Precision is selling them for $34.95 and free shipping with orders over $25 [?]. The 9mm 1911 seems very popular right now since 9x19 ammo is rather cheap in bulk and pistol makers seem to have figured out how to get the 9mm to work in the longer action of the 1911. That said my Colt .38 super is stupid reliable. I just got a 9mm barrel for the super and so far seems to work well.