Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad news in the world of 1911s...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Have you tried the Tripp .38 super mags? I have Wilson and Tripp and IMO the are equal at least.
    I personally use both. I have been using the Tripps longer, but picked up some Wilson Combat magazines on sale last year. The Tripp magazines are excellent to the point that I feel Wilson Combat newest generation of Magazines were... inspired in similar likeness. Mostly, because you are going to get similar results when you are trying to maximize a product with such specific parameters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    but am really surprised by .38 Super. It's a good cartridge with a cult following.
    I'm surprised too, but 9x23Win is an all around better cartridge if one wants a 9mm diameter bullet. However, they don't seem to offer that either. I can understand getting rid of the 40S&W given that the 1911 will allow for 10mm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Attachment 61086

While I don't care for 40S&W or have any use for 460 Rowland, I do enjoy my 38 Super.
    Got an error message when trying to look at the attachment.

Thought I would be able to see it when I registered but nope...

No worries, Glad to finally be a member here so that I can participate in the conversations.

460 Rowland becomes much more fun when you roll your own. A guy can save a fortune reloading for a round like this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With regard to .38 super magazines; Dawson Precision is selling them for $34.95 and free shipping with orders over $25 [?]. The 9mm 1911 seems very popular right now since 9x19 ammo is rather cheap in bulk and pistol makers seem to have figured out how to get the 9mm to work in the longer action of the 1911. That said my Colt .38 super is stupid reliable. I just got a 9mm barrel for the super and so far seems to work well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I'm surprised too, but 9x23Win is an all around better cartridge if one wants a 9mm diameter bullet.
    Stop making sense - 9x23Win was entirely too logical/rational a caliber to be successful, unfortunately. It would be cool if it made a resurgence though, as it's a hot-rod of a round... I doubt that will happen, but I can dream...
    Last edited by Leftie; 06-10-20 at 10:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    Stop making sense - 9x23Win was entirely to logical/rational a caliber to be successful, unfortunately. It would be cool if it made a resurgence though, as it's a hot-rod of a round... I doubt that will happen, but I can dream...
    But it's a nice dream ! I'm not a Glock shooter but their large frame pistol in 9 X 23 would hold an insane amount of .357 magnum power level ammo. So if we could get Glock to chamber a pistol in 9 x 23 then get Wolf, Winchester, Fed, CCI blazer to make cheap training ammo....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    But it's a nice dream ! I'm not a Glock shooter but their large frame pistol in 9 X 23 would hold an insane amount of .357 magnum power level ammo. So if we could get Glock to chamber a pistol in 9 x 23 then get Wolf, Winchester, Fed, CCI blazer to make cheap training ammo....
    There are drop-in barrels made in 9mm for Glocks for their large frame guns, and apparently people have had success reaming the chambers to 9x23 Win spec.

We can "if" this all that we want, but I think that the next logical (eventual) evolution of handguns will be to pendulum back towards longer-cased 9mm loads that deliver substantial performance rivaling .357 mag. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening with 1911s anytime soon, as people are choosing the 1911 less as a platform (which is a tragedy).

Why will this evolution occur? Because the attraction of being able to use modern bullet geometries traveling at very respectable velocities is too good to pass up on paper, and if you look at it from a logistical standpoint, it makes things very efficient and simple for manufacturers by reducing part SKUs for manufacturers, speeding up development times, and allowing components to be ordered in larger quantities. For handguns, 9x19 will likely have a major foothold in the market for the next ever, but 9x23 Win could very well become the faster, stronger cousin to 9x19 +P+ loads if marketed correctly ,and its performance will live up to the marketing hype. The next logical successor would be a 9x25 Mauser-style cartridge, but at that point, it's worth mentioning that we are discussing a cartridge which is becoming eerily similar to .30 Carbine, albeit shorter in length.

If you factor in the PCC-crowd, a 9x23 Win drop-in barrel would be a big hit, and push the envelope of the 9mm cartridge out of subguns and carbine-length barrels alike.
    There would be some impressive performance benefits I think, and having a handgun and PCC paired together with interchangeable magazines would make a capable platform.

For now though, 9x19 seems to accomplish things just fine, and people are satisfied with performance. Once people start to push the envelope again in handgun calibers, I'm hoping that 9x23 Win is on the short list of calibers to magically be "rediscovered". Lots of this has to do with the shooting industry either dictating interest, or accepting growing interest for the caliber though...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are drop-in barrels made in 9mm for Glocks for their large frame guns, and apparently people have had success reaming the chambers to 9x23 Win spec.

We can "if" this all that we want, but I think that the next logical (eventual) evolution of handguns will be to pendulum back towards longer-cased 9mm loads that deliver substantial performance rivaling .357 mag. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening with 1911s anytime soon, as people are choosing the 1911 less as a platform (which is a tragedy).

Why will this evolution occur? Because the attraction of being able to use modern bullet geometries traveling at very respectable velocities is too good to pass up on paper, and if you look at it from a logistical standpoint, it makes things very efficient and simple for manufacturers by reducing part SKUs for manufacturers, speeding up development times, and allowing components to be ordered in larger quantities. For handguns, 9x19 will likely have a major foothold in the market for the next ever, but 9x23 Win could very well become the faster, stronger cousin to 9x19 +P+ loads if marketed correctly ,and its performance will live up to the marketing hype. The next logical successor would be a 9x25 Mauser-style cartridge, but at that point, it's worth mentioning that we are discussing a cartridge which is becoming eerily similar to .30 Carbine, albeit shorter in length.

If you factor in the PCC-crowd, a 9x23 Win drop-in barrel would be a big hit, and push the envelope of the 9mm cartridge out of subguns and carbine-length barrels alike.
    There would be some impressive performance benefits I think, and having a handgun and PCC paired together with interchangeable magazines would make a capable platform.

For now though, 9x19 seems to accomplish things just fine, and people are satisfied with performance. Once people start to push the envelope again in handgun calibers, I'm hoping that 9x23 Win is on the short list of calibers to magically be "rediscovered". Lots of this has to do with the shooting industry either dictating interest, or accepting growing interest for the caliber though...
    Yes, I have a 9 x 19 Ed Brown barrel for my Colt super and so far it's working well. But I do know from 8 years of testing that the .38 super, at least in my Colt, runs and runs. Before I cleaned it to install the new barrel it hadn't been cleaned in nearly 2 years and it was doing fine. A little oil now and then but that's about it. It does prefer the firm push of strong ammo, no powder puff stuff.
    A 9 x 23 barrel is possible but since I'm not reloading at the moment 9 x 19 is a better idea.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, I have a 9 x 19 Ed Brown barrel for my Colt super and so far it's working well. But I do know from 8 years of testing that the .38 super, at least in my Colt, runs and runs. Before I cleaned it to install the new barrel it hadn't been cleaned in nearly 2 years and it was doing fine. A little oil now and then but that's about it. It does prefer the firm push of strong ammo, no powder puff stuff.
    A 9 x 23 barrel is possible but since I'm not reloading at the moment 9 x 19 is a better idea.
    .38 super is a sweet round, and is actually how I became interested in 1911s not chambered for .45 ACP. I haven't been bitten by the reloading bug just yet, although I've come close a number of times. Pragmatically, I stick to available calibers due to that reality.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    .38 super is a sweet round, and is actually how I became interested in 1911s not chambered for .45 ACP. I haven't been bitten by the reloading bug just yet, although I've come close a number of times. Pragmatically, I stick to available calibers due to that reality.
    9X23 is one of the LEAST AVAILABLE cartridges imaginable, and like .38 Super/Super Comp, is most def a handloading cartridge if one shoots any quantity.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast