Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing water to house from nearest stream?

Feedback Score

Packing water to house from nearest stream?

During an extended power outage of several month duration, I expect the water from the faucet to eventually stop. Bottled water would be used up by then. The closest stream is about 1/4 of a mile through the woods on foot. Wife can't help due to physical disability. So what is the best way to bring up a couple gallons at a time? What to use? A surplus army bladder canteen? I presume that I should filter at the stream and bring potable water back up. Toilet flushing water is a whole different problem.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Any large water bladder would work just fine, the issue is carrying that much weight. We have a red metal wagon with large, knobby pneumatic tires that we use around my property to haul heavy items that would work great for you. I believe it came from Northern Tool and Supply.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Is that 1/4 mile on level ground? If even part of it is uphill I would plan on laying in a pvc line, 3/4" pvc pipe is not that expensive. If the stream elevation is above your house you could lay the line all the way. If stream is below your house you are toast, depending on how thick the wood are you could use a wagon or a bicycle, water weighs 8.33 lbs/gallon so a bicycle with two 5 gallon cans mounted you could walk and push think Ho Chi Minh trail.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 02-29-20 at 09:21.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Plenty of two wheeled carts available, get one, put in a few five gallon buckets with lids..problem solved.
    Just thought of this...remember the old Red Wagons with the sideboards we played with as kids? Ive seen those used for ALL kinda things.
    They would hold 2-3 buckets for sure. Get the big rubber wheels and eezy peezy.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 02-29-20 at 10:00.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Forgot to include it is downhill to the stream across two sections of private property. Neither property is posted no trespassing but I would want to be discreet about crossing them. No houses are in the immediate vicinity. My path is a game trail through the woods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioshooter View Post
    Toilet flushing water is a whole different problem.
    If it's yellow let it mellow; if it's brown flush it down. Keep a 5 gal jerry can next to the commode. That will give you at least 3 flushes. The polite thing to do is to fill the toilet tank after your flush. The next individual is expected to do the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why not just go in the woods instead of wasting water on flushing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Some of my preps are driven by my wife's physical condition.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How about an ALICE pack frame w/cargo shelf & a 5 gallon GI water can?

Random pic snagged off the net:

large.jpg

Personal preference, but depending on the particulars it usually seems easier (both in physical effort and cross contamination prevention) to do the water treatment/filtering in a more controlled area (which is usually away from the water collection location).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast