Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 won't cycle

Feedback Score

1911 won't cycle

I have a Springfield loaded 1911 in 45acp that I picked up in new 2003. No idea on the round count but its been shot. It has been a reliable gun, until now.

When shooting, the slide will not cycle after the round is shot. Spent brass is still in the chamber. The slide does not move. Funny thing is I can hand cycle the slide just fine, I don't feel any grit or hangs ups at all.

I have cleaned the gun, field stripped, replaced the recoil spring, tried different ammo, mags and completely took the gun down.

I don't know where or what else to look at to get this thing running again.

Do you guys have any insight?

Thanks
    Last edited by rangerjay; 02-29-20 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    So the slide doesn’t reciprocate at all when it fires, it just stays in place? That’s really weird if so. If it was cycling a bit but still leaving the casing I would say check your extractor.

Feedback Score
    yes, exactly the slide does not reciprocate.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Sounds like you have a full length guide rod and an enclosed spring plug. Has any of that been altered?
    When you hand cycle does the unfired case extract like normal?
    If no to either of the questions above, then as stated above, check and/or replace the extractor. I bet the fired case is not moving at all and hanging everything up one way or another.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    It has a 2 piece full length guide rod, unaltered.

It extracts and ejects normally when hand cycled

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The joys of 1911 ownership. I do love to shoot them, but don't miss any of these headaches.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Have you disassembled pistol?

Check that bushing/barrel link and lugs are intact.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I have. All parts look in good shape

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Assuming you’ve tried 230 Ball or equivalent.

I’d say you’re at the “need gun in hand” stage taken to someone versed in the 1911.

Long distance/verbal/no photos troubleshooting is usually non productive, but worth a shot.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Thanks man I appreciate your input. Yes 230 grain. I was hoping to avoid taking it in but that might be my only choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast