Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 won't cycle

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    It's not that I don't believe you, but...are you 100% sure that the slide DOES NOT MOVE AT ALL and not that it's just not cycling enough to eject the spent brass?

I have a hard time imagining a scenario where you can hand cycle a gun, but the power of recoil simply will not move the slide out of battery.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Does the recoil feel excessive? If so, maybe the barrel link is worn to the point of not allowing it to unlock. I only know this from my first journey back into the 1911-used barrel and link from another gun, it was wallered out pretty bad. I was able to hand cycle it, just like you. Also, look at the slide/frame fitment, does the slide appear further forward than it should?

Yes--and the slide did not move at all, went through this when I took it over to Fusion and the smith was asking the same question with a puzzled look.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Whenever you get that fixed, buy a normal guide rod. I love SA 1911's, but am puzzled by their retarded 2 piece GR.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I recorded shooting it on my phone. On as slow mo as my phone will go, I cannot observe the slide moving.

I will check the link thanks mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your post. Looks like my barrel link is toast. Sheared on one end.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    An easy fix at least.
    (Most SAs and Colts I’ve worked on the last few years “ride the link”, giving the illusion of tight barrel fit)

I’d asked earlier if you’d dissembled gun and checked bushing, barrel lugs/link.
    Apparently the link wasn’t immediately obvious.

Glad you have it sorted out.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Yes sir, I must of over looked the link. I hope this fixes it, Thanks again .

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Excellent! glad you have it squared away.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Hey guys thanks again for your input. It was in fact the barrel link. I installed a replacement yesterday and it ran smooth. Easy fix and I learned something win win.

Feedback Score
    This is my experience from about 7 (?) years ago. YMMV.

I have a 9mm Loaded. It was unreliable from the first mag, and would malfunction about 80% of the time. I would have to hand cycle the slide after each round. Usually the spent case would fly out when I racked the slide.

I worked hard to put 200rnds through the gun because I didn't want to listen to BS when trying to send it back. It malfunctioned for almost every damn one of those 200 rounds. I got really fast at FTF drills.
    I used several quality mags from different manufacturers. I used quality ammo from different manufacturers, and other shooters had the same issue with this gun.

Off it went to Springfield.

Back it came after what looked like a lot of hand fitting and polishing on the form (if I remember correctly). I was pretty happy after seeing everything that was done. Seriously, it looked like their shop did a lot of work.

It ran great for about 2 mags, perhaps 3.

The same issue started again. The slide was not recipricating or at least not moving far enough to the rear to strip a round off of the magazine.

This model had the key safety with the tiny key lock in the mainspring housing. I noticed that the lock appeared to be slightly engaged while shooting. I think that the (extremely tiny) lock was turning 45 degrees or so while I was shooting. I would turn my key all of the way towards lock and then back again. It would be good to go for a mag or so.
    The slide would become more difficult to rack depending upon how far the lock was turned. Some days it felt like the slide was dragging a bit and other times it was almost impossible to rack the slide. I THINK that it would be a little better after disassembly and cleaning but I might be wrong.
    I don't like, want, or use a built in lock on handguns so that was not something that I would normally pay a lot of attention to. The lock was also hard to notice.

Anyway, I told Springfield about it and asked them to fix it. I told them that I would pay extra to get that damn lock removed and replaced with a standard mainspring housing (and internals). The replaced it with the standard non locking mainspring housing.

The gun has been 100% ever since and I gave it to my daughter after running about 1200 trouble free rounds through it. She has at least about 600 rounds through it on her own.

Soooo... in short.
    The slide would not move far enough reward while shooting to strip a new round from the mag. Often, it would not even move far enough to strip and eject the spent casing.
    The slide was hard to rack on a good day and almost impossible to move on other days.
    Even though they didn't catch and fix the issue on the first return Springfield's customer service was outstanding. Their customer service rep seemed professional and knowledgable. Yes, they did ask about the round count, the mags, the ammo, and if other shooters had the same issue. They were surprised that I covered all of the bases.
    Springfield fixed the issue. The turn around was fast both times.
    I have had two other Springfields and they have been outstanding handguns.
    This is a good gun. I really like it. The only reason that I gave it to my daughter is that she can hit with a 1911 and also loves the gun. I would not have given it to her if I didn't trust it now.
    BTW, it runs everything from Tulammo to Speer Gold Dots.

I hope this helps. Bear in mind that my story takes place about 7 (or so) years ago. I have no idea if the locking bull$h!t is still on their guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12