Thread: S&W MP9 Shield EZ

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple X View Post
    Finally got it to the range.
    Shot 200 rounds through it.
    115 ball, 124 ball, and 147 PP.
    All worked flawlessly.
    Perceived recoil was a tad higher than I expected since the gun is a bit larger than the regular Shield.
    Trigger was fine.
    No problems with the grip safety.
    Loading the mags were a breeze and everyone I let cycle the slide was surprised how easy it was.
    I'd say S&W hit this niche part of the market very well.
    Good to hear. I shot the wife's .380 EZ briefly again yesterday. Did much better this time. Out of 50 rounds of Speer 95gr FMJ only had 1 failure this time...another live round stovepipe (and yes, it was the last round in the magazine) and out of 20 rounds of Hornady 90gr FTX zero malfunctions. Seems to have just been a little bit of break-in period with this particular pistol, however, the live round stovepipe still bothers me. I'm thinking its a magazine issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    Good to hear. I shot the wife's .380 EZ briefly again yesterday. Did much better this time. Out of 50 rounds of Speer 95gr FMJ only had 1 failure this time...another live round stovepipe (and yes, it was the last round in the magazine) and out of 20 rounds of Hornady 90gr FTX zero malfunctions. Seems to have just been a little bit of break-in period with this particular pistol, however, the live round stovepipe still bothers me. I'm thinking its a magazine issue.
    Do you have more than one mag?
    If so did it happen with different mags?
    The EZ9 came with 2 mags.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple X View Post
    Do you have more than one mag?
    If so did it happen with different mags?
    The EZ9 came with 2 mags.
    Yes mine came with 2 mags as well. Since that live round stovepipe only occurred once yesterday it was (obviously) with just one magazine and unfortunately on the first outing when it happened more than once I wasn't paying attention if it was one or both magazines. I will mark them from here on out.

Feedback Score
    DO NOT pin or tape the grip safety. You will never be able to remove the slide And it is just a bad idea, from the safety standpoint.

The grip safety operates the firing pin block, which is a plunger in the slide in the usual fashion. If the grip is pressed into the frame then an arm rises up out of the frame to move that FPB plunger up. And when this arm is up, the slide can't be removed or replaced. The instructions tell to keep your hands off the grip safety when taking the slide off, or putting it back on.

Also, the firing pin block is there for a reason, usually because pistols get dropped. And if dropped on the muzzle, the firing pin might fly forward with enough inertia to overcome the firing pin spring and fire the round. This sort of thing is why some 1911s have firing pin blocks.

Bart Noir

Feedback Score
    I don't know why they need a grip safety since the idea is they sit around unholstered and unchambered until you slingshot the slide to get them into action.
    No sure if this is anybody's idea but your own. Carrying a pistol in a holster, and having it ready to fire one-handed when there is little warning, or being able to pick it up and fire it one-handed while pushing an attacker off with the other hand, are not radical never-gonna-happen concepts. In fact, they are what pistols are designed for. Needing to find the time in an emergency to use both hands, well, that is planning for failure.

Bart Noir

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    It is probably worth trying some standard 115, 124, and/or 147 grain ammo before chalking it up to the gun. 95gr FMJ is a very light round. It may be cycling the gun fast enough to outrun the magazine and/or overwhelm the extractor that were designed around more common ammunition. That it ran well with the 90gr FTX is a good sign. That's a light round, but it's also loaded lighter, so it likely cycles the gun slower.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    It is probably worth trying some standard 115, 124, and/or 147 grain ammo before chalking it up to the gun. 95gr FMJ is a very light round. It may be cycling the gun fast enough to outrun the magazine and/or overwhelm the extractor that were designed around more common ammunition. That it ran well with the 90gr FTX is a good sign. That's a light round, but it's also loaded lighter, so it likely cycles the gun slower.

I have the .380 EZ, not the 9mm.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I have the .380 EZ, not the 9mm.
    Oops. I'll be back over here minding my own business. Carry on!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123