Thread: Question about Mossberg 590a1 and Flitz

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question about Mossberg 590a1 and Flitz

I was cleaning my guns the other day after a trip to the outdoor range. My 590A1 had a speck of rust on the tube probably from shooting in the very cold and putting it back in the safe. I removed the speck pretty easily with 4O steel wool and flitz. I put a little flitz on and very gently rubbed it with the wool. It seems like that part of the tube is either really really polished or I rubbed off some of the Parkerizing. Is that possible or is it just shiny and smooth?

Feedback Score
    Ive used flitz many times it works exceptionally well especially for what you used for. I think if anything the steel wool on any type of finish will effect it in someway. Next time try just using a rag and keep rubbing it in

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhill12 View Post
    Ive used flitz many times it works exceptionally well especially for what you used for. I think if anything the steel wool on any type of finish will effect it in someway. Next time try just using a rag and keep rubbing it in
    Noted for next time. Never used Flitz before. Here’s a picture of it. It seemed to have “dulled” out a bit but it definitely feels much smoother to the rest of the guns finish. My concern if it’ll rust more in that spot with the finish worn off. I know Brownells sells a Parkerizing touch up spray but nothing that matches this color.

98637098-AEA6-48C3-B230-7D5AB706A93E.jpg

This second picture is out of sunlight. A bit easier to tell.

75E67968-5177-466C-A550-4734E2EBCFF9.jpg
    Last edited by Krp7894; 03-02-20 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Flitz is a metal polish, steel wool is an abrasive. You removed some of the parkerizing with the wool, and polished the spot with the flitz.

Kroil on rust spots left overnight and then a gentle scrub with a toothbrush will generally remove surface rust.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Flitz is a metal polish, steel wool is an abrasive. You removed some of the parkerizing with the wool, and polished the spot with the flitz.

Kroil on rust spots left overnight and then a gentle scrub with a toothbrush will generally remove surface rust.
    Ah ok. I thought 4O wool I’d be safe. The color isn’t completely off it’s just the shine. It’s not matte anymore. Regardless as long as it doesn’t rust I’m fine with it.