Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Hunting Tips, Tricks, Advice

Feedback Score

Turkey Hunting Tips, Tricks, Advice

I am going on my first turkey hunt sometime in October. I will be hunting in New Mexico. Since it is my first time I really have no idea what I am doing.
    I am going to get a book. I am going with 2 friends. We are thinking about hiring a guide to show us the ropes.
    Do you all have any advice for this first timer? Due to a physical disability I will have to use a 20ga, as I can’t safely fire a 12ga.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Get a guide if you don't know the area. This will save time on scouting and create a higher possibility for a successful hunt.

Pattern your gun and find your max distance. I consider max distance to be when there are a few turkey head sized gaps in the pattern.

Turkey should be shot in the head for a humane kill. Poofing feathers on a wounded turkey that is running away is no fun for anyone.

My favorite part of turkey hunting is hearing them come down from a roost. It's a sound of semi-controlled chaos, sticks breaking and big wings moving air.

I'm a dork like that though. I can get just as much gratification from any hunt by just watching nature do nature stuff and never firing a shot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure if it is the same out west as in the east, but red, white, or blue colors on clothing or gear here is an extremely bad idea if turkey hunters are about.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    There is no such thing as wearing too much camo when hunting turkeys of course if orange is required wear it. Box calls are the easiest to pick up and use, the next being slate and diaphragm being the hardest. So pick up a call and start practicing, staying together is best one can call and the other shoot and then swap also more eyes is better turkeys are sneaky. Most of all be patient and take your time, they see extremely well and will spook quick.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Same as all have said above. As far as calling is concerned do not call excessively. Let the turkeys dictate calling. If they answer right away or even as your are calling they are hot and probably coming. Usually I'll back off on my calling then. Just enough to keep them coming really. When you are setup and they are coming absolutely do not move or move as little as possible. They will see you and disappear. Definitely pattern your gun. 20ga ammo can be deadly depending upon what you are shooting. The new Federal TSS ammunition is awesome. It's expensive but will easily kill out to 50 yards with a 20ga as long as your gun patterns it well. I always aim at the waddles - base of the neck where the feathers begin.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I'm a dork like that though. I can get just as much gratification from any hunt by just watching nature do nature stuff and never firing a shot.
    I have spent plenty of time trying to get in to Barred Owl conversations. They are a blast to listen to. Also been asleep leaned up against a tree most trips since it is relaxing.

That reminds me, plopped on the ground is a good reason to use clothes soaked in Permethrin to negate insects.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Get a guide if you don't know the area. This will save time on scouting and create a higher possibility for a successful hunt.

Pattern your gun and find your max distance. I consider max distance to be when there are a few turkey head sized gaps in the pattern.

Turkey should be shot in the head for a humane kill. Poofing feathers on a wounded turkey that is running away is no fun for anyone.

My favorite part of turkey hunting is hearing them come down from a roost. It's a sound of semi-controlled chaos, sticks breaking and big wings moving air.

We ended up setting up under a roosting tree one morning on accident, as we knew from our last hunt that they would be in that vicinity. We didn't realize how close we were. When they finally decided to come off the roost well later than anticipated, it scared the bejeebus out of us.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I always wear snake boots when turkey hunting. Even though we can have cold snaps here in the spring It is also fairly warm and I've seen tons of poisonous snakes while hunting. Even though you are hunting in October I would think you could have warm weather and rattlesnakes may still be out.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    We ended up setting up under a roosting tree one morning on accident, as we knew from our last hunt that they would be in that vicinity. We didn't realize how close we were. When they finally decided to come off the roost well later than anticipated, it scared the bejeebus out of us.
    A few years back my son and I had a wild experience. We were hunting in ghillie suits and completely covered from head to toe. We set up in front of this dirt mound and had placed a bunch of large fallen branches and saplings behind us to help hide us. The turkeys in this area can come from anywhere and it is wide open pine forest. We were set up next to a small food plot. Basically football sized and we were in an endzone corner. So, a gobbler is gobbling behind us about 300 or so yards away and I'm calling to him. After about 30 minutes of calling back and forth I hear him coming up behind us. I shut up and wait. All of a sudden the turkey jumps up on the large sapling right behind my head. It's legs were right between mine and my Son's dead about 3-4 inches away. I could look out of the corner of my eyes and see turkey legs. After what seemed like minutes, even though it was only seconds, the turkey jumps and flies into the field about 10 ft in front of us. It was a darn hen! She went and started clucking in and around my decoys. Talk about having your heart racing one second and then being pissed the next when after all of that it was a darn hen! The gobbler we were working earlier never came in and we didn't hear a single gobble the rest of the morning.

Feedback Score
    Patience and Camo is key, hands and face. Your 20 gauge is perfect just pattern it so you’ll have good shot placement, those extra full chokes aren’t always the best. Plenty of birds are killed with modified or full chokes. I see a lot of misses with baseball size patterns. Don’t over call! There is nothing better than working a call and having active Toms light up and come running in, there are also days when they won’t make a sound and sneak in behind you. I hunt a lot of rolling hills, oak trees and farm/bottom ground in the spring. I like using Primos decoys, 2 hens plus or minus a Tom depending on how far into the season it is.
    Lots of great vids on youtube. New Mexico is a great place to hunt. Have fun!
    Last edited by Rye_Tyler; 03-06-20 at 11:37.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast