Thread: My M 4orgery build with questions

Feedback Score

My M 4orgery build with questions

Awhile back I stumbled across a cache of what appeared to be military Colt M4 parts including a new 14.5 barrel that still had the cardboard wick in it at a local surplus shop. The pelican case had most of the parts needed to build a complete rifle minus the delta ring, buttstock and of course the lower receiver. There were also some special tools like the clamshell fixture with upper receiver insert, vise mag insert and handguard removal tool. There was some other 'special' parts as well which indicated military sourcing. Anyway, I bought most of it for $350.00 and combined it with a Aero Precision lower and KAS rail system with Vero Beach marked rail covers and LMT Sopmod stock to create what I think is a M4A1 Block I?

Of course the lower should be marked as such with the auto marking but hopefully a legit Colt lower will show up to properly complete this thing. The other stuff are accessories I've accumulated. The carbine has H2 buffer installed. I just picked up a military rubber bikini cover for the M-68.

What time frame would this configuration have originally existed and what would a correct sling look like?

The other Colt AR-15A3 with the PEQ 2A is my former LE duty rifle that retired with me.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by kosmoelean; 03-05-20 at 22:57.

Feedback Score
    To the best of my knowledge, the info below on the block 1 is accurate.
    I think the SOPMOD kit was released around 1993
    Standard black, USGI web slings are what I remember.

Barrel:
    14.5" M4 1/7 twist (M4 Profile or HB 'SOCOM' Profile)

Flash Hider:
    Standard A2 or KAC NT4

Rail System:
    KAC M4 RIS/RAS

Vertical grips
    KAC

Rail panels:
    KAC

Optics:
    Aimpoint Comp M/M2 in Wilcox Mount
    Trijicon ACOG TA01 NSN
    Trijicon RX01

IR/Visible Lasers:
    Insight PAQ-4
    Insight AN/PEQ-2
    Insight AN/PEQ-5 Visible Laser

Flashlight:
    Surefire M951/M952

Rear sight:
    MaTech

Buttstock:
    Colt Fiberlite
    Standard M4
    SOPMOD
    Last edited by Leonardo; 03-07-20 at 04:48.

Feedback Score
    Belated thanks for the info! When did my pictured mount come into service? It's the only type I've encountered on the surplus M-68's I've come across.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmoelean View Post
    Belated thanks for the info! When did my pictured mount come into service? It's the only type I've encountered on the surplus M-68's I've come across.
    The qrp mounts were in the mid to late 90s. I was still in the 82nd when we changed over from m16 to m4 with the m68cco in 1998 I believe. I know when I got to group in 2000 we used tao1nsn or m68 but a bunch of the guys had Larue cantilever mounts on them.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I like your build! Very nicely executed.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info on the mount. I'll throw a standard black issue sling on it for now. As far as this project goes it was just luck that I happened on that stash of parts in the store. It was a perfect opportunity to try and create a basic issue type carbine. I was going to go back and grab some more duplicate parts but that stuff was already gone!