Thread: Ok, so I'm pretty proud of myself...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Ok, so I'm pretty proud of myself...

I used my cheapie 8" drill press and some Amazon drill bits and did this this morning. Finally kearned how to do my own FSBs... I know, i gotta do the second pin but.. Damn... So cool.
    Attachment 61221
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dlraymond30; 03-07-20 at 10:37.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nice. I'm interested to see how much windage it takes to zero.

I've had Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, and Noveske FSB uppers and have always had to use a lot windage to zero all but the Colts. They know how to put together a straight upper.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Always gratifying to figure stuff out like this for yourself rather than pay a guy.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Always gratifying to figure stuff out like this for yourself rather than pay a guy.
    Yessir it is! And its pretty nicely centered as far as i can tell just by eyeballing it down the frint sight.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Ok, so I'm pretty proud of myself...

It’s fun figuring things out and when I realize it wasn’t as difficult as I though it’d be.

Was the FSB already predrilled so you just redrilled and straight pinned it on? Did you use anything to secure it while drilling? I’m genuinely curious because I’ve though about doing a fresh FSB on a barrel but worried the drill bit would walk some.
    Last edited by Waylander; 03-07-20 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    It’s fun figuring things out and when I realize it wasn’t as difficult as I though it’d be.

Was the FSB already predrilled so you just redrilled and straight pinned it on? Did you use anything to secure it while drilling? I’m genuinely curious because I’ve though about doing a fresh FSB on a barrel but worried the drill bit would walk some.
    Its a used bcm or colt fsb that already had the holes. I had ordered a bunch of different pins from BRDE and Amazon and mcmaster carr. All i did was secure the fsb to the barrel after locating its position with a vise grip and then put the barrel down into the $16 harbor freight vise on my drill press table. It was hard to get it started through the layer of nitride on the barrel but after that it went right through. Admittedly I do need to do the front pin too but i was so excited that i did it correctly that I couldn't wait to post!
    Also, take the sling swivel off, dimple the bottom of the barrel and then tap the hole under the sling swivel that just so hapoens to lone up perfectly eith the gas tube hole like a low pro GB first screw hole. Screw it into the barrel like a low pro and then its perfectly secured! I didnt do it this way but its how i will from now on! I used the barrel dimple to line up the gas block actually... By eye lol
    Last edited by dlraymond30; 03-07-20 at 14:36.

Feedback Score
    Interested to see how the rear sight will be adjusted.
    Most shops use a jig, mind boggling how you were able to accomplish the task without one.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Taper or straight pins?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlraymond30 View Post
    Its a used bcm or colt fsb that already had the holes. I had ordered a bunch of different pins from BRDE and Amazon and mcmaster carr. All i did was secure the fsb to the barrel after locating its position with a vise grip and then put the barrel down into the $16 harbor freight vise on my drill press table. It was hard to get it started through the layer of nitride on the barrel but after that it went right through. Admittedly I do need to do the front pin too but i was so excited that i did it correctly that I couldn't wait to post!
    Also, take the sling swivel off, dimple the bottom of the barrel and then tap the hole under the sling swivel that just so hapoens to lone up perfectly eith the gas tube hole like a low pro GB first screw hole. Screw it into the barrel like a low pro and then its perfectly secured! I didnt do it this way but its how i will from now on! I used the barrel dimple to line up the gas block actually... By eye lol
    So you don’t actually know if it’s lined up properly within spec then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk