Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of S&W M&P15’s?

Feedback Score

Current state of S&W M&P15’s?

I’m looking for a inexpensive beater AR, and I found some S&W Magpul Mid MOE-SL’s for a great price($600). Are these hot garbage? I’d prefer to stay away from PSA, and I don’t feel much like building. I can’t help but think these have to be better. I would use the furniture as is as I really like it. Most likely, this won’t see anything beyond Wolf steel cased. Thoughts?? I have plenty of quality guns.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you have plenty of quality guns just use one of those. Nothing wrong with using expensive/quality tool as a beater. Don't buy crappy guns. That only encourages manufacturers to produce more crap. For a few hundred dollars more you can get a high quality which will be more reliable and pleasant to shoot.

Feedback Score
    It's not a terrible option but I would go something different

If you want a factory rifle the Aero AC15 is a better choice right around the same price point. Barrel is middy ballistic advantage and I believe mpt/hpi tested. Bcg is also hpt/mpi unlike the s&w. I don't love either companies small parts but would pick areo if I had to. At least you know the buffer tube is 7075 for sure

Another option would be to buy a complete upper and build a lower

Sionics upper at Primary Arms- 475(one sale or with coupon they have been running)
    Toolcraft bcg 70
    Built lower- pr
    Aero lower $50
    SOLGW blaster kit 40
    Aero Re kit $30
    milspec trigger/stock $50

That puts you a little over at $715 but much better option imo

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    They are solid for what they are.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They're great for a range gun. Shoot well with brass, I haven't tried steel case in them. But hey if it malfs you can at least work on your malfunction clearance. Higher quality guns are boringly reliable.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For the money they're tough to beat. Reid Henrichs and Paul Howe have good things to say about them. Both of those gentleman seem to know more than most about the AR platform
    Last edited by signal4l; 03-07-20 at 08:56.

Feedback Score
    I had one for awhile it was accurate and reliable over several thousand rounds. Reason I actually got rid of it was the 1/9 barrel twist and wanted a mid- length barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    I’m looking for a inexpensive beater AR, and I found some S&W Magpul Mid MOE-SL’s for a great price($600). Are these hot garbage? I’d prefer to stay away from PSA, and I don’t feel much like building. I can’t help but think these have to be better. I would use the furniture as is as I really like it. Most likely, this won’t see anything beyond Wolf steel cased. Thoughts?? I have plenty of quality guns.
    For your described purpose, they are okay. Detail inspect on arrival, stake anything down that needs it. If you plan to shoot 5.56 in it, gauge the chamber and ream if necessary.

This thread provides some helpful tips: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?7376
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My brother has one. He is not a high volume shooter, has an AR pretty much to have one and didn’t want to spend a bunch of money. I think he got his for about 400. When in town, I have shot with him close to 1000 rounds of Wolf steel cased ammo. No issues to date. Total round count is probably around 2000 rounds in 4 or 5 years.

Like STI above said, check staking and chamber.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My brother has one. He is not a high volume shooter, has an AR pretty much to have one and didn’t want to spend a bunch of money. I think he got his for about 400. When in town, I have shot with him close to 1000 rounds of Wolf steel cased ammo. No issues to date. Total round count is probably around 2000 rounds in 4 or 5 years.

Like STI above said, check staking and chamber.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast