Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck gas tube

Feedback Score

Stuck gas tube

I am swapping uppers on two of my rifles, and one has the gas tube completely stuck.

Then I thought, ok, didn’t want to go there but I’ll remove the front sight base so I can easily pull the tube off.

One of the two FSB taper pin is also completely stuck, I’m going nuts.

I tapped the gas tube forward very lightly and very little (there is very little forward room anyway) in order to unstick it. It did move forward but won’t move backwards.

I Kroiled the hell out of it too, but so far no luck. Same with the stuck taper pin. Short of a press for the taper pin (which I don’t have and shops are not open today), any other ideas how to proceed ? Before I cut the damn tube and order another one.

TIA
    Last edited by OLIAR15; 03-07-20 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    I’m sure you did but I have to ask. You did remove the roll pin holding the gas tube in the gas block right? Assuming you did, try using vice grips perpendicular on the gas tube directly behind the gas block & tapping on the side of the vice grips with a hammer. Even if you have to clamp down very tightly to the point you crimp the gas tube. You can always buy a new one. They are relatively cheap. The important thing is that you don’t damage the gas block because they are generally a bit more expensive. Again, please ensure the gas block roll pin has been removed before doing this because that could damage the gas block. Good luck brother. I have had this issue before & after some cussing, some diligence & a damaged gas tube I had it out & was able to replace the tube for around $15.

- FISH5742

Feedback Score
    Also, just saw that you stated you have a stuck taper pin too. Again another issue I have faced more than once. Usually costs me a couple broken punches. I found that I had to use wooden blocks directly on a concrete surface placing the wooded blocks on either side of the taper pin to prevent bending my barrel. Don’t bother with your little 4 oz armorers hammer. Get the framing hammer out. Kiss the tip of your punch goodbye & then place it directly on the taper pin & give it a solid whack. If you didn’t blow the tip off of your punch, repeat the process as many times as necessary. Take care to block & brace the barrel so that all force is applied directly to the taper pin only & as little force is transferred through the side of your barrel as possible & to prevent scratching & marring. Try not to use towels or anything extremely soft under the rifle because it will act as a shock absorber & will not allow for enough force to be applied to the taper pin. The barrel needs to rest on something sturdy enough to resist the whacks but soft enough to not scratch your finish. A bench block or 2x4 blocks worked for me. Again, good luck & just be patient. Don’t get frustrated & start smacking wildly. Ensure your punch & your blocks are properly positioned on each strike. You will get it.

- FISH5742

Feedback Score
    Thanks for both posts

Yes I removed the roll pin

I have been using a big hammer, solid punches and solid ground / blocks. One punch already got bent in the process

I was trying to complete this job today, what I thought would be a 30 mins job, now I am as stuck as my tube and taper pin.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Use a punch much wider than the pin to help get it started. You can Dremel a concave shape in the middle of the punch to keep it on the head of the pin. You can also rough the end of the pin a bit to help keep the punch from slipping if you are desperate.

Good luck!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post
    Thanks for both posts

Yes I removed the roll pin

I have been using a big hammer, solid punches and solid ground / blocks. One punch already got bent in the process

I was trying to complete this job today, what I thought would be a 30 mins job, now I am as stuck as my tube and taper pin.
    Yup! My findings too. But, with enough determination you can get it done.

- FISH5742

Feedback Score
    Why are you removing the gas tube?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Use a punch much wider than the pin to help get it started. You can Dremel a concave shape in the middle of the punch to keep it on the head of the pin. You can also rough the end of the pin a bit to help keep the punch from slipping if you are desperate.

Good luck!

Dennis.
    This. There's no need to ever sacrifice a punch to a FSB taper pin. The easiest way I have found to break loose a stubborn pin is to use a BIG taper punch, way bigger than you think you need and preferably 8-10" long because that makes it easy to hold. Brace the barrel/gas block up on a solid surface, use the big taper punch and a big ball peen hammer (I use a 16 oz.). I've never come across a taper pin I couldn't break loose with just a couple whacks using this method. Once it's broken loose then use a smaller hammer and punch to push it the rest of the way out.

A stuck gas tube can be a little more problematic. I've had good luck using the vice grip method mentioned above. Also you mentioned using Kroil on it. You may need to let the Kroil sit on it for several hours, or even a day or two to work.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I need Taper punches!

Ordering now...

Thanks!

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-07-20 at 12:55.

Feedback Score

Stuck gas tube

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

Good luck!

Dennis.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    This. There's no need to ever sacrifice a punch to a FSB taper pin. The easiest way I have found to break loose a stubborn pin is to use a BIG taper punch, way bigger than you think you need and preferably 8-10" long because that makes it easy to hold. Brace the barrel/gas block up on a solid surface, use the big taper punch and a big ball peen hammer (I use a 16 oz.). I've never come across a taper pin I couldn't break loose with just a couple whacks using this method. Once it's broken loose then use a smaller hammer and punch to push it the rest of the way out.

A stuck gas tube can be a little more problematic. I've had good luck using the vice grip method mentioned above. Also you mentioned using Kroil on it. You may need to let the Kroil sit on it for several hours, or even a day or two to work.

That’s a great idea, thanks both
    Last edited by OLIAR15; 03-07-20 at 14:39.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast