Thread: ROTC Basic Camp - Fort Knox 1978

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Back in the old days, you got a "yearbook" for your time at Fort Knox for Basic, and Fort Lewis for Advanced. Here is the cover of mine from 1978. I also managed to show up several times, but I wanted those here to see how we did Rifle Marksmanship. I got my Expert that summer with the M16 and Grenades. Keep in mind that college ROTC contributes around 65% of all Commissioned Officers in the US Army. My 20 year old son would have done the same route if he hadn't received his appointment to West Point.

A young OH58D getting his M16A1 rodded thru to check for any rounds. Note the watch on the right wrist and compare to the photo in the OP. Also note I was just under 6 ft 3 and weighed around 165 lbs. Great looking two-tone upper and lower on the weapon I carried. Also note in these pictures the fatigue shirts out of the pants. At that time, Army Regs allowed you to leave the shirt out when temps hit a certain level. That summer of 1978 we were having temps at Fort Knox hovering @ 100 degrees.
    Last edited by OH58D; 03-08-20 at 17:57.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879