Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ROTC Basic Camp - Fort Knox 1978

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpddoug162 View Post
    Cadet command based out of ft Knox has now modified advanced camp for this years cadets. It’s going to be organized along the lines of home schooling due to the virus. It’s going to be interesting how that works out and what the end product looks like.
    I heard about that. I was at Knox in 2018 as the guest of the new Commanding General of Cadet Command for a week during Cadet Summer Training. We served in the same Aviation unit, but at different times.

2017, 2018 & 2019, Basic and Advanced Camps were running thru @ 10 regiments each of 600 cadets. There has been a shortage of Commissioned Officers, and the Army has been trying to fill that void. Last Summer, my West Point Cadet was Cadre for two cycles of Advanced Camp. He said the worst performance he saw was in Land Nav. I guess these young officers in training have never heard the term: "Cadet Trails". If you're looking for way points, just follow all the destroyed foliage from all the previous cadets.

All the ROTC cadets are now housed in the Disney Barracks complex, but a lot of cadre stay in the old Hammer Head barracks (refurbished) I was housed in for basic in '78.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I heard about that. I was at Knox in 2018 as the guest of the new Commanding General of Cadet Command for a week during Cadet Summer Training. We served in the same Aviation unit, but at different times.

2017, 2018 & 2019, Basic and Advanced Camps were running thru @ 10 regiments each of 600 cadets. There has been a shortage of Commissioned Officers, and the Army has been trying to fill that void. Last Summer, my West Point Cadet was Cadre for two cycles of Advanced Camp. He said the worst performance he saw was in Land Nav. I guess these young officers in training have never heard the term: "Cadet Trails". If you're looking for way points, just follow all the destroyed foliage from all the previous cadets.

All the ROTC cadets are now housed in the Disney Barracks complex, but a lot of cadre stay in the old Hammer Head barracks (refurbished) I was housed in for basic in '78.
    Was stationed at Knox for the last seven months I was in the Army in the 194th Armored Brigade back in '87. Lived in Muldraugh in an apartment with my ex. I started clearing status the day the ROTC cadets showed up for their annual training cycle. The 194th, being a permanent party unit, was tasked annually with running the ranges and stuff for ROTC Summer Camp. They would have to clean the weapons from whatever range they were running because the cadets had "...too busy of a schedule" to do the lowly job of cleaning the weapons they just fired. LOL
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Was stationed at Knox for the last seven months I was in the Army in the 194th Armored Brigade back in '87. Lived in Muldraugh in an apartment with my ex. I started clearing status the day the ROTC cadets showed up for their annual training cycle. The 194th, being a permanent party unit, was tasked annually with running the ranges and stuff for ROTC Summer Camp. They would have to clean the weapons from whatever range they were running because the cadets had "...too busy of a schedule" to do the lowly job of cleaning the weapons they just fired. LOL
    Once in Army Aviation at Fort Campbell, I flew countless times on training flights up to Godman AAF at Knox. I tried to keep up with what the ROTC program was doing to gauge the new LT's coming in. I think in the 80's the program had issues. For me in 1978, it was a lot of sitting outside and cleaning the weapon. Most of the NCO's were Nam combat vets and were a good bunch.

I come from an ROTC family. My uncle was in college ROTC when Korea kicked in and he was sent there with an MP unit enlisted. Commissioned when the war was over. My 97 year old father in law was enlisted during WW2, then college and ROTC after the war, and went back in. Myself college ROTC. My youngest son did 4 years of JROTC in High School, but was nominated and accepted to West Point. He's the odd man out in the family. I still help out with some of the JROTC programs in New Mexico, and some of the college programs, giving lectures on my time in Army Aviation.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234