Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Buffer springs. Flat vs. Braided. What say you?

Feedback Score
    Flat? Hell no
    Braided? Hell no
    Colt/vltor A5/bcm/lmt? Yes

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Blue Sprinco or A5 with Green Sprinco. I have several rifles with blue sprinco, one with white and one with green.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Blue Sprinco or A5 with Green Sprinco. I have several rifles with blue sprinco, one with white and one with green.
    I replace all my springs with Sprinco and forget about them. Sprinco will give you recommendations on which color coded weight to use. The older Colt M4 liked blue, and white standard weight. At some point during production Colt M4 liked red, I have one also. Built a Colt XM4A2 clone and it likes red. You can time your ejection. Having additional force ensures you don’t get a failure to seat a new cartridge or skip past a cartridge in the mag due to excessive BCG speeds which also causes bolt bounce. I also use their ejector and extractor springs. My newest Colt likes red on timing but works perfectly with standard weight. If you are doing the A5 route you’ll need green. I pay to have them cryo. I never have failures once I get the proper weight based on ejection timing. You can run them dirty also if need be. Older Colt has 12k+ with no malfunctions to date. Barrel still shoots as good as it always has, bolt is still good. Swapped a red for a Colt spring from a 6920 to a Valkyrie build and it worked perfectly with a MGI buffer, and shot a 1000rd course with Colt in OEM with zero malfunctions. So Colt springs are good they just don’t last as long. Been told 3-5k before they tend to get weak, also heard stories of up to 10k. Who knows but with Sprinco I forget about the springs and focus on other wear items. I used to use piano wire springs before Sprinco also liked them. Still have a few I pulled that work great. Would never do braided or flat springs due to cost and lack of need. I do use a Flatspring CroSil guide rod in my 1911A1 and it’s great. Have well over 10k in my 1911A1 and no malfunctions since I installed the flat spring at about 200rds.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I use Tubbs flatwire. Scroll down to video for explanation.
    In a nutshell it puts more pressure on the locked bolt, stays consistent throughout the cycle unlike an increased weight spring that slams home the bolt, and is rated for 500k cycles. As for those that have a hard time installing/removing a flatwire, maybe you should take up another hobby.

http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-bufferspring

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have always used blue springco springs with either H or H2 buffers (H2 for 12.5 and 10.5 barrels), barrels are either BCM/Colt/LMT and I have never had any issues. However, I did learn from this thread the the springco springs are susceptible to rust.
    Last edited by rushca01; 04-08-20 at 19:03.

Feedback Score
    I like this flatwire spring
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1586388899905

As far as difficulty installing or removal, I very quickly got the hang of it and I get it in and out of the tube as quickly as a standard spring

Feedback Score

Buffer springs. Flat vs. Braided. What say you?

Sprinco Springs for the win. They never have failed me. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Send it...; 04-13-20 at 00:51.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I put just over 2,500 rounds through an SBR running geissele's super 42 with an h3 buffer and have had zero issues. This was over the course of about 4 months, so I cannot speak for corrosion but looking at it closely it looks new. I'm not an engineer, but the braided portion makes sense to me meaning that I do not put in the same category as the tubbs or similar.
    Last edited by Bluto; 04-13-20 at 08:24.

Feedback Score
    well i ordered a blue spring for my new build thanks to this post

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345