Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffer springs. Flat vs. Braided. What say you?

Feedback Score
    I have one of the Geissele G42s. Maybe it’s snake oil but I’m trying to keep track of how long it lasts. I am up to 900 rounds so far which doesn’t really mean anything.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How many rounds are we supposed to get on a regular Mil-Spec spring? I had a 3K number rolling around my brain for some reason, but I know for a fact I have at least 2 rifles with that kinda round count and the springs are fine.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    FWIW, Mike Pannone likes Springco Blue springs in his M4s:

“And, given the parameters of the test (no lube) and the dramatic increase in shootability using a heavier buffer, I am still a proponent of a buffer heavier than an H.
    · With the Sprinco enhanced Blue action spring (or comparable extra-power spring) and an H2 orH3 buffer, unless there is a rigid obstruction present in the barrel extension, the rifle will reliably go into battery.”

https://www.defensereview.com/the-bi...m4-unreliable/

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Genuine question; what problem does a braided spring solve? Is it just a longevity thing? A5 kit spring user here fwiw.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Genuine question; what problem does a braided spring solve? Is it just a longevity thing? A5 kit spring user here fwiw.
    They give either higher forces at the same maximum stress or, the same stiffness at a lower maximum stress.

Another thing they do is damps oscillation if the driving force is near the spring's natural frequency.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For some reason I remember hearing the buffer spring so much more until I had my own rifles. I mean like renting them at the range or in basic. On all of my personally owned rifles I really don't notice the buffer spring when shooting. If I get out tomorrow Im really gonna listen for it.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    The only thing I've seen them do is cause 'why does my AR malf?' threads online.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    The only thing I've seen them do is cause 'why does my AR malf?' threads online.
    If the G42 spring and buffer causes your rifle to malfunction then it probably wasn’t built correctly.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    With a reasonably gassed gun I run H2/Blue Sprinco. The less mass I can have slamming back and forth, with complete reliability, the less perceived movement of dot/reticle.

Same principle as “the lightest recoil spring that works” in a 1911.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    With a reasonably gassed gun I run H2/Blue Sprinco. The less mass I can have slamming back and forth, with complete reliability, the less perceived movement of dot/reticle.

Same principle as “the lightest recoil spring that works” in a 1911.
    People with shot timers understand this.

Everyone else tries to run the heaviest buffer and stiffest spring possible for some reason.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast