Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buffer springs. Flat vs. Braided. What say you?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Genuine question; what problem does a braided spring solve? Is it just a longevity thing? A5 kit spring user here fwiw.
    I believe Geissele claims a combination of increased spring pressure and longer spring life with the Super 42 spring/buffer kit.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    They give either higher forces at the same maximum stress or, the same stiffness at a lower maximum stress.

Another thing they do is damps oscillation if the driving force is near the spring's natural frequency.
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I believe Geissele claims a combination of increased spring pressure and longer spring life with the Super 42 spring/buffer kit.
    Thanks for the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    People with shot timers understand this.

Everyone else tries to run the heaviest buffer and stiffest spring possible for some reason.
    Any data on how much split times can improve. I’m all about reliability but if I can have my cake and eat it too? Why not.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Then throw an H buffer and a Colt spring in your receiver extension and enjoy. Unless you're running a suppressed SBR , you're not helping reliability with the heavy buffers and springs.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I love Geissele but the super 42 is by far their worst product.

Braided has a faster load rate. Its rate x rate squared instead of constant force per length, and they don’t load predictably. Also if one coil breaks, the combined effect is lost exponentially. Also more $ to make. Just use a std spring from springco.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 03-09-20 at 09:58.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Round wire, stainless, Colt.
    The End!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've gotten to the point now where if Colt, KAC or LMT aren't doing it, I avoid it.

With that said, under what circumstances are extra power buffer springs (sprinco blue/red) recommended?
    Shooter like Kukoč

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Flat wire springs were the "hotness" for about 5 minutes... 10+ years ago. I have a flat wire spring still in my HD rifle, and I can't even remember who made it.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    I've gotten to the point now where if Colt, KAC or LMT aren't doing it, I avoid it.

With that said, under what circumstances are extra power buffer springs (sprinco blue/red) recommended?
    Typically if you have an over-gassed rifle a blue spring might help a bit. Red is recommended for a higher caliber/high recoil cartridges or possibly some piston guns (somebody said HK416 maybe). I would avoid red in 5.56/300. People seem to use Sprinco Blue in a properly gassed guns without issues. A slightly stronger spring might be able to help in adverse conditions with BCG going into battery and stripping a round from the magazine. Theoretically might help with the bolt bounce, but haven't seen a factual confirmation.

One advantage of CS Sprinco springs is that they last lifetime of your lower without need of replacement. Primary disadvantage (can't confirm it, but some people reported so) - more prone to rust in humid climates or wet conditions.

For me it's a minor expense if you take into consideration a service life of the gun. You basically never have to replace or think about the spring in your lower. Sprinco Springs are super consistent as well in both length and strength unlike different brand springs you'll find on the market.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    People seem to use Sprinco Blue in a properly gassed guns without issues...

..A slightly stronger spring might be able to help in adverse conditions...

..Primary disadvantage (can't confirm it, but some people reported so) - more prone to rust in humid climates or wet conditions.
    I had issues with the Blue spring in a properly gassed gun. Unusual stoppages.

They might help in adverse conditions, like a sooty chamber with a can.

Yup, rust.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Sprinco

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast