Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HK VP9 question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I'm haven't heard of anything on that, but that wouldn't be smart on HK's part. The paddle releases are superior imho. I totally understand the muscle memory thing though and cross platform training, but it doesn't change the fact that it is superior. THey would still be making the paddle release models for Europe, so why not keep selling them in the US?
    Agreed

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I don;t understand how you all gravitated to use your index finger. Much less your thumb unless you mean your weak side thumb.

When I have a two hand grip my weak hand comes off, my strong side index finger goes up to the frame in the "finger off trigger safe place", then my middle finger curls up tight and naturally falls right on paddle where it then presses down.

Maybe it's the size of my hands and fingers but that's the only natural feeling way I can do it. I do like the paddle btw. Using my index finger I almost have to do the same manipulation as I would with a button for the rest of my hand.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Now, somebody explain to me, what determines the speed of a reload, how fast your strong hand drops a spent mag, through whatever device and with whichever finger, or how fast the support hand executes a departure from a complete grip, retrieval of a fresh mag, delivery of said mag to the magwell, insertion of the mag, and re-acquisition of a complete grip?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I'm haven't heard of anything on that, but that wouldn't be smart on HK's part. The paddle releases are superior imho. I totally understand the muscle memory thing though and cross platform training, but it doesn't change the fact that it is superior. THey would still be making the paddle release models for Europe, so why not keep selling them in the US?
    Agree 100%. I have two VP9sk's. No other guns I own have the grip of the VP9sk. They feel like their custom made for me. I know when I have one in my hand.The paddle mag release is no problem for me. I like it better with my grip I know there's no way I'm going to drop a mag at the wrong time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I don;t understand how you all gravitated to use your index finger. Much less your thumb unless you mean your weak side thumb.

When I have a two hand grip my weak hand comes off, my strong side index finger goes up to the frame in the "finger off trigger safe place", then my middle finger curls up tight and naturally falls right on paddle where it then presses down.

Maybe it's the size of my hands and fingers but that's the only natural feeling way I can do it. I do like the paddle btw. Using my index finger I almost have to do the same manipulation as I would with a button for the rest of my hand.
    I also use my middle finger to activate the paddle. I can't activate the paddle with my index finger with out shifting my grip and I find that I instinctively lift my index finger up to the slide.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Using middle finger is also safer, a middle finger needs to go up to release and never moves around trigger, while using trigger finger and trying to be too fast can result in pulling trigger. Maybe not a problem on VP9 with safety blade, but I've seen ND on IPSC match with SA/DA trigger on HK USP when my friend tried to be too fast with moving finger from trigger to paddle. Also reaching with middle finger forces trigger finger to straighten and go up (at least my hand works this way).
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    This. I have to shift my grip slightly with a button release. I don't with a paddle release.
    I find this to be true with me also.
    Love my VP9.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    Using middle finger is also safer, a middle finger needs to go up to release and never moves around trigger, while using trigger finger and trying to be too fast can result in pulling trigger. Maybe not a problem on VP9 with safety blade, but I've seen ND on IPSC match with SA/DA trigger on HK USP when my friend tried to be too fast with moving finger from trigger to paddle. Also reaching with middle finger forces trigger finger to straighten and go up (at least my hand works this way).
    Yes! that's exactly what happens with me. Glad I'm not alone there. Additionally when you do middle finger you get a 4 way grip on the gun. Pinky+ring opposing web of hand AND thumb opposing index. You middle finger is doing it's own thing and that gripping action + middle finger does cause the index to go straight.

RE: Speed of a mag change. I would measure that from "click" to "bang" simply because anything other than that is not critical to combat or sport. A "bang" has to happen after the mag change or speed would be a non issue.

RE: grip change. If I use button or paddle my grip changes somewhat. If you guys can change mags either way and not make any change in your grip you must have some serious muscle independence. I just feel like I have a considerable and less secure change with a button. Paddle is more grippy and secure with minimal overall change.

Feedback Score
    You will probably learn to love the paddle releases.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123