Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norma Tactical 55gr FMJ

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Norma Tactical 55gr FMJ

Anyone shoot this stuff? I probably should have asked before I bought 1000 rounds, but.....I didn't

I assume it'd make decent blaster ammo for the pistol and drills, and I know Norma makes decent .22LR ammo; so I took the chance.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...ammo-lake-city

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Norma Tactical 55gr FMJ

Yup, I have a case but have shot less than half of it. No issues with function and I’ve shot a 1 1/2 group at 50yds and a 2 3/4 group at 100yds with it. Wasn’t my best day of grouping either.

ETA - I lied, this is what I have, not sure how different it is:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-11-20 at 06:10.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't know, that looks to be the same logo just mine is black and white. Maybe they are packing the smaller boxes in color. Although the SKUs are different. Thanks for the feedback anyway. This stuff is advertised as:

.223 Rem 55 Grain FMJ Norma Tactical Ammo Made by Lake City

Made in the USA at Lake City Arsenal to Norma's Specifications

Norma SKU # 395041000

Boxer primer, Norma head-stamp reloadable brass case made by Lake City,

Projectile is non-magnetic lead core
    Last edited by CrowCommand; 03-11-20 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I picked up a couple cases of it. Noticeably hotter than most common 223 55gr loads. Not too much different accuracy than most generic loads, through I haven't shot for groups. My hope is that the brass quality is on par with Lake City as opposed to Federal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I picked up a couple cases of it. Noticeably hotter than most common 223 55gr loads. Not too much different accuracy than most generic loads, through I haven't shot for groups. My hope is that the brass quality is on par with Lake City as opposed to Federal.
    I weighed some of the Norma brass, but it may have been from their match Ammo, and it was about 6 gr heavier than the lake city brass. If I shoot some more of the 55gr FMJ, I’ll separate the brass and weigh it to compare.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Corse, how big a difference is that in terms of overall weight? My main hope is that the primer pockets are not "one and done" for reloads. Federal brass seems pretty bad about that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Corse, how big a difference is that in terms of overall weight? My main hope is that the primer pockets are not "one and done" for reloads. Federal brass seems pretty bad about that.
    Not sure on the brass life, I haven’t reloaded any yet. The Norma was weighing in around 98.5gr. LC was around 92 and Lapua 96.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I'm pretty green when it comes to rifle reloading, but I assume heavier brass = stronger thicker brass = better for multiple loads? I do load rifle just not in the quantity I do pistol.

My case arrived today and at first glance, it doesn't look like some of the junk Federal sold to Walmart.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    I'm pretty green when it comes to rifle reloading, but I assume heavier brass = stronger thicker brass = better for multiple loads? I do load rifle just not in the quantity I do pistol.

My case arrived today and at first glance, it doesn't look like some of the junk Federal sold to Walmart.
    There's a little more too it than that, but that is not a bad starting assumption. Federal is famous for having a thinner case head/web and the primer pockets are loose after just one or two loads. Lake City is heavier by comparison, and seems to last a good while longer. I don't care to sort 223 brass, so as long as it holds a primer and gives similar velocity with a given load, I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post

It depends. What it usually is a good indicator of is internal case volume. As an example, federal 6.5 Creedmoor brass is quite a bit heavier than Hornady and it reflects in the pressure and velocity for a given powder charge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast