Thread: "Web less" vs. PALS/MOLLE

Feedback Score

"Web less" vs. PALS/MOLLE

I've seen more and more companies doing this new "web less" system for vests and other load bearing gear. Any thoughts on this vs. the older MOLLE type webbing?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As in laser-cut MOLLE or PALS? Or straight to Velcro? Gear makers are also moving away from 1000D Cordura to lighter weight fabrics, all in a move to reduce overall weight of the gear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
    As in laser-cut MOLLE or PALS? Or straight to Velcro? Gear makers are also moving away from 1000D Cordura to lighter weight fabrics, all in a move to reduce overall weight of the gear.
    I'm talking about the laser cut thing over the sewn-on webbing.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I recently swapped out my older HSGI battle belt for one of the newer laser cut ones. Seems OK. Not sure how much the ultimate weight savings are, but it doesn't seem like it has lost anything in the transition. I hate the trend towards "slim" crap though, as it was a PITA to get normal TACOs and other mag pouches on the "Slim" belt I bought.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    I haven't messed with the laser-cut stuff, but I'm a big fan of swift clips in conjunction with velcro. That system is a lot easier to change out than MOLLE.

Feedback Score
    I like the laser cut stuff. I have a backpack and plate carrier with it. Both going strong. What I like more than the weight savings is laser cut gear is slimmer and less tactical looking.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With lasers its a heat sealed and more stable/clean cut edge (can be material dependent, say a laminate fabric versus traditional cordura) and allows a more precise cut. BFG, Safariland, Project 7 Armor, Velocity, FirstSpear, Crye...lots out there. Also, MED-ENG with their newest EOD suits use laser cut MOLLE compatible components.

I'm also a fan of laser cut OneWrap...
    Last edited by Shooterman017; 03-24-20 at 20:11.
    Industry Disclosure
    Current: Blue Force Gear

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I think it’s manufacturer driven. I’ve seen BFG laser cut pals stretch on loaded 308 double mag pouches, and so I had to change that setup. I believe that was more related to their particular design and I also think because I was using malice clips (on TT pouches) instead of their helium whisper type “molle straps” which I can see would not put as much stress on a the single point of the laser pals cuts.
    I am currently looking at a Beez Combat Systems APTUM PC and it also uses laser cut pals. I contacted them and asked if they had observed any stretching or tearing during testing or hid they had received any feedback to that effect from deployments and they replied that had zero issues observed or reported. They said they use a different material than most other gear manufacturers (I don’t know what that material is and didn’t ask.) and the geometry of their laser cuts are different, and their laser cut panels are tighter against the surface underneath which he said provided better surface to surface contact and was more secure. I’ve used Beez gear before and it’s some of the best I’ve seen in terms of quality of material and construction so I have no reason to doubt what I was told about their particular style/method of laser cut kit, because the APTUM is definitely a planned purchase in the near future.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can attest, as I'm running a BCS skeletal cumber w/ FS tubes on my Banshee, that BCS is top notch. This setup has dramatically improved my PC!

The "holes" in the cumber, as well as edges, are laser cut. Provides a clean, tough edge, and the material is very strong and incredibly light. I'm betting that Aptum, as well as all their laser cut kit, is solid.