Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Champaign, IL totalitarian dreams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks like Maryland is jumping on the bandwagon of using this current crisis to steal citizens' property and limit rights.

https://www.informedchoicemaryland.c...ecutive-power/
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Stealing guns from citizens during a pandemic crisis is the epitome of wasting resources. You have much better things to do with your time as a .gov agent. I also agree that it's a reason to use those firearms if necessary. Don't be that guy "just following orders" because it may be hazardous to public health, especially your own!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    To everyone's surprise, gun/ammo stores were deemed "essential" by our governor for our 2-week staycation...

Feedback Score
    Escalation happens quickly it seems. I just hope we can get through this next week without the “blaze of glory” stuff. Stay frosty.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I am understanding this right, some of ours are trying to fix it.

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/record/20rs/hb322.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The amendment sponsor's explanation

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...33768194093477

I hope everyone across the Commonwealth is out enjoying this beautiful day and has been able to fill it with a bit of joy and relaxation, despite the challenges and hardships so many of us continue to face.

When I ran to be your State Representative, I knew that there would likely be times of adversity. I don't think any of us could have imagined something quite to the scale of COVID-19, however there are a few things I would like to share with you. First off- I didn't walk hundreds of miles and meet thousands of you on your doorsteps asking for the opportunity to represent you, just to turn a blind eye in our time of need and take the "political path of least resistance". I made a commitment to you to always do the right thing, whether it was popular or not.

Secondly, I want to tell you about Amendment 3 to House Bill 322, and explain why I filed it. This amendment seeks to ensure that the rights of hard-working Kentuckians and business owners are protected from government overreach. Although the amendment does not interfere with the executive branch's ability to issue executive orders pertaining to a state of emergency, it provides due remedy of law through a system of checks and balances designed to keep our government accountable for any action which is determined in a court of law to infringe upon civil liberty or unnecessarily restrict commerce.

My purpose in filing this amendment was not to criticize or undermine the Governor's efforts, rather to ensure that any use of government force is appropriately balanced with the consent of the governed in accordance with our Constitutional rights. At the onset of this crisis, I was frankly impressed with how Governor Beshear handled the public health concerns in a calm, rational fashion. I was appreciative that he met with members of the General Assembly to debrief us and respond to our questions.

I agree with him, with our President, and a whole host of physicians and public health officials on the state and federal level about the importance of preventing the spread of Coronavirus. We should ALL be willing to abide by the public health precautions and recommendations set forth by the CDC and others. However, we must also bear in mind that we cannot allow the cure to become worse than the virus itself. We, individually and as a Commonwealth, have an obligation to look out for others and to approach this crisis in a way that mitigates the risk of spreading communicable disease, but also doesn't result in unnecessary economic hardship and dire unintended consequences.

The minute I post this, there will inevitably be a swarm of antagonistic remarks- approximately 90% of which will be from folks outside of our district and many from outside of Kentucky- stemming from a mischaracterization of this amendment that has been shared across social media by Leftist organizations looking to create political mayhem. That's not to say that there aren't folks right here in the 61st District who don't see eye to eye with me on this issue- but they're typically more respectful and are legitimately looking for a dialogue instead of posting insults and further creating division. As always, I consider it a privilege to serve you and I will always strive to do right by you even when it isn't popular or politically expedient to do so.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456