Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Putting back small pistols for post event trading, thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    Gold and silver are useless. You cant eat it and it doesn't keep you warm.
    For survival, useless . . . . You’re correct. But things will begin to stabilize quickly after a calamity. Barter is difficult because you might not have anything the other guy wants. And he sure as hell won’t want shitty fiat paper money. But gold and silver are an ancient currency that is always valuable as money. If he’s in desperate need of medication or food, he won’t accept it, but if he’s just trying to offload some extras to get something of greater value, he very well might. Speaking for myself: I’d have zero use for a crappy .380 lady pistol, but I’d take 6-8 ounce silver coins.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah I don't think I'd barter off guns....but I do see how it could work.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    I don’t believe in bartering firearms or ammo. There is potential for either of those to be used against me.
    Stock up on more useful things such as here recently people have this perceived need for toilet paper. Maybe batteries, think more in terms of a general store than a gun store. You’ll also be able to attract/be relevant to a larger group of people.

Agreed. Plus, in my opinion, it’s a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Might be good for arming unprepared friends and family who show up begging for a loaner...
    Beretta 81's at Classic Firearms for $209 seem like good candidates.
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/bere...ood-very-good/
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    The last thing you want to do in a Mad Max scenario is meet anyone outside of your village / farm.

Oh, you dont already live in a small village with a nice farm and animals? Then you're going to die sooner than later.

Me? I dont want to live in the Dark Ages with guns. I'd rather die quickly. Not worried about it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would never arm anyone other than a family member or someone already armed that is just a little short.

Had a cousin call me up last week asking to "borrow" a pistol. He wanted to give it to his wife for protection when he wasn't home. His only firearm experience is with an old shotgun. His wife has never held a gun in her life, they have 5 wild children with no self control that would instantly shoot each other the second she left the gun on a table.

Call me a fudd, but I don't want that crap on my conscience.

Told him I didn't have one to spare.
    Last edited by Bluto; 03-25-20 at 17:09.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    Small cheap revolvers like the S&W 642 Airweight would be perfect in my opinion. Cheap, reliable, and most inportantly... for someone who has no firearm - it's their best option if bartering to get one.

If someone's trying to barter for a firearm after the SHTF already I suspect they'd trade their left nut for whatever you're offering. Stock up on 38 special to trade with it too.

Plus, you wouldn't be arming someone up who can potentially come back after you with it...642 would obviously just be defensive.
    I wouldn’t call @ 642 cheap. What’s one cost, close to $400?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Baldgui View Post
    Barter? Madmax barter town scenario. Seriously ??? The level of bat shit crazy has just escalated to absurd.
    I agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I don’t want to barter weapons that someone could use to rob me of the rest of my barter inventory.
    You would have to go about it like a well to do drug dealer going to a 6 figure drug deal that might go south. You call your "customer" with your SAT phone and say "This deal goes down my way. I will tell you when and where the drop is going to be".

Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    For this reason I would buy Hi-points.
    A low grade Gen 3 Glock 17 , which can be purchased for $325-$350, will be far more valuable then a LCP, MC1 or Hi Point. Even if the day never came, there is no shame being stuck with a few Glock 17's that could be resold and 99% of your cost recaptured.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Don't waste your money, buy more ammo. If societal collapse becomes a thing, ammo is currency imo.
    In the event of a total collapse, how are you going to sell your ammo or use for bartering? Advertise? Cash for bullets type of business? Or just offer ammo as a form of payment?

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Get silver and gold
    For what? You cant pay your mortgage with gold or silver. You cant buy food with gold or silver. You cant put gas in your vehicle with gold or silver. And even if you could trade gold or silver for some things, how do you get change back?

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I also believe in the: "don't arm people that haven't armed themselves" mentality.
    I get that mentality, but lets be honest, all of us have a price in mind where we would do just about anything.

In reality, trading guns for similar items with the same value, isn't a bad concept. But even during a total collapse, most people are going to want cold hard cash because everyone knows the value of a dollar and its excepted everywhere. Better find something to trade for cash, like older POS trucks that are in decent running condition and drivable, old gas powered generators, gas powered water pumps, old four wheelers that are in working condition etc.
    Last edited by elephant; 04-08-20 at 05:30.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123