Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safariland UBL+ pack hip belt

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Safariland UBL+ pack hip belt

Has anyone tried a Safariland UBL while actually utilizing a pack that shifts the load to a hip belt (Kelty, Kifaru, Mountainsmith come to mind). If you have, were you using the medium or low UBL?

Curious if my concealment 7TS with ALS with a male QLS adapter will clear a pack hip belt on either of these ride heights.

Feedback Score
    I haven't tried it in your context but one would think a low-ride UBL with the QLS system would work. I'm running a low-ride UBL with a 6360RDS and QLS on patrol to keep it away from my outer vest. I do use a Safariland leg strap as well to keep the holster from flapping out when running and drawing.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    I have not specifically tried your setup. What I will say is that a stiff belt can start sucking when wearing a heavy pack that's transferring the weight to your hips. Having something hard and plastic on that belt will probably be even more miserable.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    I have not specifically tried your setup. What I will say is that a stiff belt can start sucking when wearing a heavy pack that's transferring the weight to your hips. Having something hard and plastic on that belt will probably be even more miserable.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that plastic digging into your hip under the waist belt is not going to be fun.
    What the OP would probably be better off doing is run a standard DL platform (Like a Safariland 6004-10 single strap), and a short webbing strap around the pants belt to keep that "mid ride-ish" height like you have with the UBL.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Your question made me curious as well so decided to try it out with my REI XT85 pack. I have both a mid-ride and low-ride UBL but the low ride one is attached to my battle belt and its too much of a pain in the @ss to take it off so I only tried it with my mid-ride. Anyway, the mid-ride still gives you enough clearance. However, as you might be able to tell from the photos, if I had any items in the pouch that is part of the hip belt on the pack, it would protrude out and interfere with my draw. Please forgive the pajama pants...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have used a 565bl plus a female QLS under a pack belt without any issues.
    That was with a reinforced 1.5" nylon belt, not a 2" - 2-1/4" duty belt so that may be the difference.

If I try a UBL, I was really planning on making a spacer(same concept Blade Tech and Centex used to do) to compensate for the belt difference. And if I do try it, it may suck?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’ve put a flapped EDC pouch with a holster and spare mag on the outside of my pack belt with good luck. Downside obviously was speed and ease of access, but there was no displacement of comfort. The pack was an Osprey Aether 70, pouch was a little MOLLE pouch with a G19, a spare mag and a couple odds-and-ends. It was trail setup for the Continental Divide, not a tactical application.

From that, I changed my trail carry rig to small 5.11 chest rig. Nice and lightweight, breathable and modular. Gun, reload, IFAK w/TQ and a GP pouch with survival essentials. I did this due to pack-off breaks, trips down trail to get water, little day hikes, etc. This way I have all the essentials just in case.

Hopefully these may help find a solution, just a couple of other options.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
    I’ve put a flapped EDC pouch with a holster and spare mag on the outside of my pack belt with good luck. Downside obviously was speed and ease of access, but there was no displacement of comfort. The pack was an Osprey Aether 70, pouch was a little MOLLE pouch with a G19, a spare mag and a couple odds-and-ends. It was trail setup for the Continental Divide, not a tactical application.

From that, I changed my trail carry rig to small 5.11 chest rig. Nice and lightweight, breathable and modular. Gun, reload, IFAK w/TQ and a GP pouch with survival essentials. I did this due to pack-off breaks, trips down trail to get water, little day hikes, etc. This way I have all the essentials just in case.

Hopefully these may help find a solution, just a couple of other options.
    Tried a few of variations of that with Kifaru (plain and pals) and Kelty hip belts.

Pouch type holster on the Kifaru pals belt.

M7 or Blackhawk chest holster.

Wilderness Safepacker with it's belt loop either over the hip belt or over a holster adapter on the pals hip belt.

And most recently was a female QLS on a chest/shoulder holster panel. Protec or Protac? Places the holster similar to the M7. That was what got me curious about a UBL after noticing that I could wear the female QLS on the 565 belt loop under a pack belt.

Feedback Score
    Even tho I live in an area that is very pro 2a I rarely open carry. When hiking I use a Hill People Gear kit bag to carry either the 44mag or glock depending on where I'm heading. Very low pro, allows me to carry other items that I may deem essential such as map/gps/compass, snacks, multi tool, fixed blade etc. The gun has its own dedicated area and has a very clean presentation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Picked up a used 6360 on a mid ride and got in some preliminary screwing around the house with it using a Blue Alpha Gear 1.5" belt to check clearances.

The guard on a mid ride is definitely a no go with a pack belt. The SLS hood is more than likely(lacked shorter screws) a no go too except maybe with a very thin pack belt which some of mine are. May try the SLS, but more of an ALS fan anyway.

Will make a belt width shim and give everything some actual woods testing soon.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 04-21-20 at 15:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast