Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Earned My Shirt @ The Tactical Games

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Finally Earned My Shirt @ The Tactical Games

2021 update below original post.

Been debating as to post this or not. I figured someone may find it helpful to prepare if they are interested.

Pride took a hit but I'll learn from it. I actually teared up as we drove off. I said "I can't quit" and went to turn around. My wife was a voice of reason and I will be better prepared for next year.

To say I underestimated this match would be fair. I had been jogging with 25 lbs for 4 months. I added reps to all my normal jazz. Not near enough. I should have been jogging at 100 lbs over to feel lighter at the match.

I survived stage one but timed out. I couldn't get my feet to cooperate on a rope climb about a third of the way through Stage 2. Decided to muscle my way up and stalled out about 6 inches from the top.

The staff and RO's were awesome. They offered me a move from "Elite" to an "Intermediate" slot but I was done.

50% overweight cardio would be a good place to train for this monster. Much respect for the guys who finished. I'll come back better prepared.

Well, ask away or offer advice.

Update, March 2021

Got that shirt.

We had 7 stages spread over two days. The "Masters" division was changed from 45+ years old to a 40-49 group and a 50+ group. I was in the 40-49 group. We had the same COF and work load as the "Intermediate" division. There were some instances where Intermediate was allowed to use props as firing support but Masters had to fire offhand.

My ultimate goal for this match was to get a finish. My year worth of work was quickly evident to myself as we got going. I admittedly sand bagged all stages except the very last to try and avoid injury. The last stage was brutal. It was the only stage that had something like a 80% timeout (myself included and my only timeout). I completed about 75% of the stage before running out of time which seemed to be where most people ended.

My mental attitude was solid (since last year bitch-slapped some humbleness into me) with me only screwing up one firing sequence.

I was again inspired by other competitors. I watched a 17 year old kid (who was at most 120 pounds) farmer carry 105 pounds in each hand and throw a 80 pound sandbag over a 6 foot bar multiple times while carrying a rifle, a handgun, ammo and wearing armor. Also, seeing injured individuals still pushing at 100% was extremely respectable. Awesome stuff.

The energy invested got me a "middle of the pack" overall finish with around 120 total shooters. I'll be attacking every stage next year at 100% effort. I learned what areas still need work. While there are resources with known variables, Tactical Games is hard to train for. An individual needs to be ready for anything and would be far better off with a 60% mastery over everything rather than 100% mastery of a few exercises.

Well, it's now time to put the heavy plates back in the carrier and bust ass for a year. Thank you to everyone who posted up and I challenge you to hit up The Games.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 03-08-21 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    Looks pretty cool, can you post your training regimen and more details on obstacles/evolutions? I might sign up for intermediate when it comes to CA. Good for you finding your failure point and wanting to improve.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A good way to prep would be to run with fairly heavy weight. Not hike or walk fast. Run with heavy weight. Uphill, downhill, off balance, etc.

A person can survive if they have the cardio. TG has penalties on standby if a person can't do a particular portion of a stage. For example; Portions of stage 2 included tossing a 50 pound sand bag 10 times over an eight foot bar. This had to be done twice at different points for a total of 20 times over. Failure to get over resulted in burpees. Can't do it? Bang out some burpees in armor.

The two guys ahead of me at check in didn't make weight on their carriers (15 lbs minimum). I thought it odd at the time but then realized they were adding additional weight as necessary to hit 15 pounds on the "official" scale. I brought a 19 pound rig wanting to make sure and not have any weigh in issues. I would have benefited from being 4 pounds lighter instead of overshooting the weight to play it safe.

TG also allows spectators not associated with a competitor. If a person is unsure, they could go to one and observe.

Look up pictures/videos of previous matches. Most will show off balance weight of some sort being moved to another location.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have known Tim Burke since i was a teen before I joined the army. He was one of my inspirations to go LRSD then to selection and sf. He is a great guy. Hope you do well next time you go.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Failing at something you worked really hard for is humbling in a way that can't be adequately described. Whether it's a business/professional venture or something like Tactical Games or marathon. I've failed at both. Those failures helped me be more successful the next go round. Keep your chin up and thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Whelp... I'm glad I signed up for Intermediate then...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    I have known Tim Burke since i was a teen before I joined the army. He was one of my inspirations to go LRSD then to selection and sf. He is a great guy. Hope you do well next time you go.
    Awesome group of people. They had a child rescue group representative there that gave a quick run down on some stuff. These are the people one should want to associate with or idolize.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Failing at something you worked really hard for is humbling in a way that can't be adequately described. Whether it's a business/professional venture or something like Tactical Games or marathon. I've failed at both. Those failures helped me be more successful the next go round. Keep your chin up and thanks for sharing.
    I've already made some progress. I'm going to go back and He-Man that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Whelp... I'm glad I signed up for Intermediate then...
    Good call. I'll be there with you!

Feedback Score
    Debating on trying this in the Masters division It looks like a serious challenge and a good reason to push my workouts harder

Feedback Score
    I actually signed up for the masters division. Won’t compete unless October of next year.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpb1776 View Post
    Debating on trying this in the Masters division It looks like a serious challenge and a good reason to push my workouts harder
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    I actually signed up for the masters division. Won’t compete unless October of next year.
    Good on y'all. I'm still a few years out from being able to run in Masters. I believe Masters uses the same COF as Intermediate. But the Masters division does get you away from the 24 year old, active SF, stud muffins.

I'm due again in March. Cardio has improved but I have lost some upper body bulk/strength since I've been running so damn much (for me).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast