Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally Earned My Shirt @ The Tactical Games

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I just saw a post about this in a local firearms forum. Looks fun. I might give it a go.

Edited to add, if'n I do, it'll be the 50+ class. I ain't TMac, and I ain't showing out to compete against people half my age or younger lol.
    Last edited by chuckman; 02-25-21 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I just saw a post about this in a local firearms forum. Looks fun. I might give it a go.

Edited to add, if'n I do, it'll be the 50+ class. I ain't TMac, and I ain't showing out to compete against people half my age or younger lol.
    This is another aspect that makes TG so awesome. There are more than enough maniacs out there who are willing to invest the time and money to attend. I think last March was 125 competitors.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    This is another aspect that makes TG so awesome. There are more than enough maniacs out there who are willing to invest the time and money to attend. I think last March was 125 competitors.
    It looks similar to a mash-up of Goruck-Crossfit-Spartan-A&S, and reminds me of the workouts we did in the service. I think it would be a lot more fun when my job does not depend on my performance lol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think it's worth pointing out to some people who are saying they don't want to compete against 30-year-old pipe-hitters: It's not about that... at all. You're only competing against yourself. If you give a flying French eff whether or not you get a plaque out of it, then you missed the point. If you think anyone cares, notices, or breaks your balls if you finish dead last, know that they don't.

It's all about camaraderie and pushing yourself to see where you are at in your own life. Nothing else.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    If you give a flying French eff whether or not you get a plaque out of it, then you missed the point.
    While I agree that for most of us it should be an opportunity to challenge and improve ourselves, if your statement was completely true they wouldn't give out plaques in the first place... but they do.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Tough Mudders are about as helpful, non-competitive an environment you can get, and people are still competing against each other, even if non-officially ("I'm gonna beat this guy beside me over this next obstacle"). Not sure I'd confer pipe-hitter status to people who do these events, either.

Once upon a time I was in units and jobs where there's winners and losers, no points for second, and everything is a competition. These days I am all about doing events like this just for fun, but I'll still pick a few people out to compete against.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Update with what a years worth of work got me in OP.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Failing at something you worked really hard for is humbling in a way that can't be adequately described. Whether it's a business/professional venture or something like Tactical Games or marathon. I've failed at both. Those failures helped me be more successful the next go round. Keep your chin up and thanks for sharing.
    How’d you get your head right after the failures? I’m struggling to do that right now. I failed an academy for the second time in January. I busted my ass during the recycle phase and thought I was ready to return and pass. Got there in January and failed again. I’m struggling to get motivation to restart pt and struggling to get my mind right to reapply. What did you do?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    How’d you get your head right after the failures? I’m struggling to do that right now. I failed an academy for the second time in January. I busted my ass during the recycle phase and thought I was ready to return and pass. Got there in January and failed again. I’m struggling to get motivation to restart pt and struggling to get my mind right to reapply. What did you do?
    I have failed far more than I have been successful. Me, I am too stupid to give up.

I have a good friend, a senior NCO in AF pararescue, he and a couple other dudes run a website and YT channel geared for aspiring AFSOC candidates. One of the YT vids is on failure, mindset, etc. It's generic enough that everyone can learn from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Dwy-1USkI&t=3727s

May I ask, what's keeping you from being successful (i.e., what are you failing?)? I am no zen master, nor do I have a magic bullet. For me, I find those things at which I am failing, or making me fail. I don't overthink it: is it a physical thing or a mental thing (academic, emotional, etc.)? I isolate that 'thing.' What needs to happen to be successful? Do I need to call in someone who can help, or can I do it alone or with resources I have or can get? For me the key is, be analytical, but don't overthink it. Overthinking leads to dwelling, and dwelling leads to a recurring cycle of negative self-talk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Chuckman is right. If you’re pushing yourself you should be failing more than you’re succeeding.

The important thing is to learn from your failure, and then adapt and overcome... thus, you never truly fail: you win, or you learn.

WHY did you fail the academy the first time? HOW did you adapt? WHY did you fail again? HOW will you adapt this time?

Trying the same thing under the same conditions but expecting a different result is one definition of insanity.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-09-21 at 10:50.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast