Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The necessity of a light on an EDC pistol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    The next logical step from, "You shouldn't have a weapon light because other people don't have the training to use it," is...

"You shouldn't have a gun because other people don't have the training to use it."
    You shouldn't have a weapon light because it is not a tool for the majority of people to use. Train to use a hand held flashlight in conjunction with your pistol.

I have to say the part of the American gun community, that thinks because Tier 1 and other Special Ops units use a tool, then we must have the same thing to be taci cool.

If you have a gun and you don't train with it, then that is just stupid.

Cops and civilians for the most part don't put in the long days of training day after day. So why in the hell would using the same tools be the right thing to do.

If my saying this saves even one person from getting killed by an untrained person with a WML, it is worth it.

Hey I got the gun and kit of CAG, so I must be cool, I am an operator, as I sit in front of my TV shoveling Cheetos into my mouth. Kit don't make an operator.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Another visual depiction of this thread...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    You shouldn't have a weapon light because it is not a tool for the majority of people to use. Train to use a hand held flashlight in conjunction with your pistol.

I have to say the part of the American gun community, that thinks because Tier 1 and other Special Ops units use a tool, then we must have the same thing to be taci cool.

Cops and civilians for the most part don't put in the long days of training day after day. So why in the hell would using the same tools be the right thing to do.

If my saying this saves even one person from getting killed by an untrained person with a WML, it is worth it.

Hey I got the gun and kit of CAG, so I must be cool, I am an operator, as I sit in front of my TV shoveling Cheetos into my mouth. Kit don't make an operator.
    I can think of many instances where a WML would be useful.

Can a handheld be used in lieu of a WML? Yes and no. There are instances where having a free hand is necessary. It’s the reason WML’s are useful. You don’t need to be a SOGSEALCAGDeltaSOCOM Secret Agent to find a WML useful, nor do you need to be a Tier 1 Operator to seek low light training. You need to seek low light training that teaches handheld and WML manipulations.

You seem to have a distaste for WML’s. Rather, you may actually has a distaste for people purchasing gear that they don’t understand how to use. In that case, I don’t necessarily disagree. However, the ideology that one must never use one because there are uneducated people on this planet is purely your bias against them.

WML’s do not replace handhelds. You should ALWAYS have a handheld light.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I carry both.

I use both in training as batteries are Murphy's best friend.

I respect Yoni's perspective about training.

Thankfully I have access to land to practice such. If a WML is effective on a Rifle, I don't see why it's not effective on a pistol.

If your overall qualm is that people shoot people on accident because of manipulating the light ("If my saying this saves even one person from getting killed by an untrained person with a WML, it is worth it.") I would be interested to know how many times this happens by someone who EDC. Police? I could see it happening as they tend to be part of a community that will utilize WMLs on the regular and thus have a higher "risk" of discharges. But, again I ask, how many times does this happen that we can quantify?

I think most of us can agree that the majority of people who EDC with a light will practice with it. Most people who EDC don't bother with such as it requires holsters, added light expense, and further manipulations. Will there always be the "Tier One" wannabes? Sure. Just like we have plenty of Wannabe Racers hopping behind 600 horses when their only experience driving is in a 250hp Four Banger.

As DM mentions, I fail to see how the "risk" of someone using a piece of equipment without proper training/experience means they have no viable function in the "Non-Mil/Spec-Ops" settings.

I don't mean any of this to offend, but I guess this could have all been summed up with: "What risk to people, by someone using WMLs, are you speaking of?"

Last edited by HeruMew; 03-29-20 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello All,

I recently picked up a Hellcat that is going to replace my Shield as my EDC gun (after learning in a class that I just can't shoot the Shield). There aren't a ton of light bearing holsters available for the Hellcat so I started thinking of going without a light/laser. When I'm at home I have other (lighted) options available to me so the Hellcat would really only be used when I'm away from home. And, truth be told, I don't go out much at night. So, I'm thinking that holster availability and comfort is more important than mounting a light.

Any thoughts on the necessity of a light?

Thanks,

JRC
    I carry a light when possible. At night, I generally throw a button-up on to cover my light-bearing gun if my current shirt wont hide it.

Before you leave the house, do a risk analysis and do what you need to. Tight shirts + npe = shield. Dark out, and untucked shirt fits the situation, i throw on a gun with a light.

Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post

I dont know what all this is about. A light on a gun is a tool that gives you options. People need to train with their gear. If you are unsafe with a light, you are unsafe. I dont base my setup on other people being stupid, or trying to be something Im not.

Find what fits the situation, train, hold yourself and others to a high standard.
    We shouldnt be discouraging equipment to fit low-level performers, we should be pushing people to train and perform better.

People just need to put the work in, regardless of what equipment they have.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-29-20 at 21:49.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567