Thread: The necessity of a light on an EDC pistol

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    As far as not liking the Shield and wanting to switch to a different gun... bro, I hear ya. Don't listen to these naysayers, if you hated it, you hated it. Move on.
    As long as you're ditching it for real reasons, not just perceived ones,
    there's no sense in pouring time, money and effort into trying to make something work for you, that doesn't, just because it works for most other people.
    I tend to agree, and he did flesh out his post with more info. I think guys who have been in the military and/or were police officers, are more inclined to drive through difficulties with a firearm because they are used to shooting what they are issued. Back in the day we had two agencies which bought the S&W Sigma in lieu of Glocks because of misplaced brand loyalty. Training their new officers was a chore, I don't think anyone could shoot those well at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    At least, hopefully, on this forum, we're not going to get any or many of those posts from the old guys who'll never use a light with a handgun for fear of becoming a target in the dark. We're not talking about being a soldier walking around at night in sniper territory. We're not even talking about entering an unlit building to search for someone with no particular reason to believe he/she would have a firearm at all (but might/could). And don't even start with the fear of pointing a gun at a non-threat-famiily-member in a dark house; come on (back to the handheld light &/or training & trigger-control).
    I'm going to be that guy, kind of. First of all, rock on with your WML, if you want, but get some training with it. Second, everyone should have a good pocket light. Third, EDC pistols should have nights sights.

Where I diverge with your opinion is based on my experiences using lights in FonF scenarios. Many folks use what some trainers call fear-driven techniques, they leave their lights on like little kids on a campout lighting the inside of their tent, thinking it makes them safer. Folks seem to forget that triggering a light, lets everyone in the area know where you are.

The goal in searching or fighting with a light is to give you an advantage. Advantage with light means you are in an area of low visibility and the subject is in an area of high visibility; the next best is when lighting is the same for both you and the subject - neutral field; the worst is when the subject is hidden and you are in a lit area. If you think about it, this is what occurs whenever you trigger a light in the dark.

It may sound as if I'm anti-light, and that is far from the truth, I'm anti folks who think mere possession of a light makes them competent. Lights are a tool. Generally you need a degree of training and practice to use a tool.

As far as this goes 'old guys who'll never use a light with a handgun for fear of becoming a target in the dark.' All I can say is Surefire was always good about replacing anything damaged by sim rounds.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-18-20 at 13:06.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee