Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The necessity of a light on an EDC pistol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    As far as not liking the Shield and wanting to switch to a different gun... bro, I hear ya. Don't listen to these naysayers, if you hated it, you hated it. Move on.
    As long as you're ditching it for real reasons, not just perceived ones,
    there's no sense in pouring time, money and effort into trying to make something work for you, that doesn't, just because it works for most other people.
    I tend to agree, and he did flesh out his post with more info. I think guys who have been in the military and/or were police officers, are more inclined to drive through difficulties with a firearm because they are used to shooting what they are issued. Back in the day we had two agencies which bought the S&W Sigma in lieu of Glocks because of misplaced brand loyalty. Training their new officers was a chore, I don't think anyone could shoot those well at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    At least, hopefully, on this forum, we're not going to get any or many of those posts from the old guys who'll never use a light with a handgun for fear of becoming a target in the dark. We're not talking about being a soldier walking around at night in sniper territory. We're not even talking about entering an unlit building to search for someone with no particular reason to believe he/she would have a firearm at all (but might/could). And don't even start with the fear of pointing a gun at a non-threat-famiily-member in a dark house; come on (back to the handheld light &/or training & trigger-control).
    I'm going to be that guy, kind of. First of all, rock on with your WML, if you want, but get some training with it. Second, everyone should have a good pocket light. Third, EDC pistols should have nights sights.

Where I diverge with your opinion is based on my experiences using lights in FonF scenarios. Many folks use what some trainers call fear-driven techniques, they leave their lights on like little kids on a campout lighting the inside of their tent, thinking it makes them safer. Folks seem to forget that triggering a light, lets everyone in the area know where you are.

The goal in searching or fighting with a light is to give you an advantage. Advantage with light means you are in an area of low visibility and the subject is in an area of high visibility; the next best is when lighting is the same for both you and the subject - neutral field; the worst is when the subject is hidden and you are in a lit area. If you think about it, this is what occurs whenever you trigger a light in the dark.

It may sound as if I'm anti-light, and that is far from the truth, I'm anti folks who think mere possession of a light makes them competent. Lights are a tool. Generally you need a degree of training and practice to use a tool.

As far as this goes 'old guys who'll never use a light with a handgun for fear of becoming a target in the dark.' All I can say is Surefire was always good about replacing anything damaged by sim rounds.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-18-20 at 13:06.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if it's mandatory, exactly, but with modern holsters (PHLster, Dark Star Gear, Henry, etc) and AIWB carry, there's really no reason not to carry a WML, IMO. At least for a general purpose carry setup, anyway. NPEs or business clothing dictating a different setup are another story.
    Last edited by rockapede; 03-18-20 at 15:15.

Feedback Score
    I walked by a local bank branch today. They hire off duty officers during paycheck Fridays and I gather this COVID has them rattled. The officer in the bank had a Glock 17/22 with WML in the security holster.

As I walked by, I pondered that nearly every second and third shift patrol officer now carries a pistol/WML combo. It is standard now across the policing industry. In my travels and interactions, an officer without a WML now strikes me as abnormal. I would go as far to say that a uniformed officer without a WML is a tell - a flag of the relatively weaker or more easily victimized officer, not current with tactical trends. Street Survival folks understand the risk of projecting something less than vigilance and competence.

CCW is not a direct parallel to uniformed law enforcement, but (1) WML are common amongst the more serious armed civilians and (2) the cost/size burdens have dramatically declined. As repeatedly said earlier, “there is no reason not to” carry a WML.

I have had a TLR-6 on my daily carry subcompact since it was introduced. Less than optimal light for multiple reasons, but also always available when attached to gun. In my case, I actually consider the WML more of a backup for the handheld light. On a P320 Compact or G19 size, a WML is a no brainer solution, as you are then into great light output and much better activation switches.

My experience is the size/bulk argument is almost without merit - concealment carry of subcompact and compact pistols with a WML has little difference from the slick pistols. I would have doubted that and even argued five years ago to the contrary. Nearly five years of actual WML carry has thought me the additional size/weight has no downside except in limiting off the shelf holsters. Adding $20-30 more for a custom rolled holster is a small price to pay for the additional tactical options afforded you in low light.

Kudos to the OP for raising this issue. I think concealable WMLs is one of the biggest true innovations of the last half decade.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Those are excellent points and you're right to bring them up. Let me try to redeem myself a bit. I put about 500 rounds through the Shield when I got it and it seemed fine at the range.

I was at Ayoob's MAG 40 class when a Freedom Munitions reload (I have no problem calling them out after the way they treated me, but that's another story ) had a case head rupture and blew the extractor out of my P320. My backup gun was the Shield. Under the stress of the class I just found out that I couldn't get the level of accuracy out of the Shield that I wanted. And, the trigger is just crap. It just put more doubt in my mind than I'm comfortable with.

Before I bought the HC, I shot the P365, P365XL, G43, and XDs and the HC felt the best to me.

Furthermore to my post I should say that a flashlight is always part of my EDC gear.

JRC
    Some excellent points to ponder here.
    I'll just add that my Shield 9 1.0 was GREATLY improved by an Apex trigger and night sights.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Since being retired 12 years after a 30 year career as a Patrol LEO, WML's were not much of an option and holsters less. Always had a small handheld light on my belt and the SL-20 for HD use. We all had night sights on our issued Sig P226 pistols. I have always shot with my support hand first finger on the front of the trigger guard. Kinda hard to do this with a light mounted there. In my practice, both dry and live fire, I use a WML. I am finding it easier but my old wrist just does not like the twist downward thumb on the left side of the frame. I am a 1911 shooter/was and the support thumb stands tall and proud on the support hand.
    Back to the WML issue, while I find the need, I am not comfortable yet with it. We don't venture out at night much so daytime EDC is nude of a WML. Handheld is a PRO TAC 2L by Streamlight. There again, in early LEO light training, handheld light was held arms length away from the body, not held supporting the strong hand. High Left light saved my bacon 1 dark night when a non LEO loving individual with a shotgun took a shot at the light.

I did break myself of the FBI crouch and draw a 6 shooter, so maybe I can learn my EDC with a WML.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple X View Post
    Some excellent points to ponder here.
    I'll just add that my Shield 9 1.0 was GREATLY improved by an Apex trigger and night sights.
    AMEN to that. I did not add the APEX trigger shoe to my Shield9 but did my M&P FS.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    I ha strong thoughts here. Then again a lot of people do, and not every one will agree, but here they are...

1. I don't think the small micro guns are a good choice to begin with. They limit the magazine size, and they don't really allow for the same level of grip you can get with a full size gun. Like I said, not everyone will agree, but I shoot a lot better when my pinky isn't hanging off the gun. I can control the recoil better, I'm more accurate, and quite a bit quicker. All good things in a gunfight. A proper holster, belt, and cover garment makes even a scrawny guy capable of carrying a full size gun in a modern word where most people have their faces in their phones... Most times it really is as easy as getting at-shirt one size larger.

2. I feel every defensive weapon (hand gun or long gun) needs a WML. This is a given. It's a tool for defending life, and may be called on to take one. The ability to identify your target must be 100%, and we can never be sure of when and where that may happen, or under what lighting conditions...

3. You still need a hand held daily carry light. You'll use it a lot more than the firearm. You should never unholster the firearm to use a light, but you may need it should the WML fail.

4. If you can't find a pre-made holster, you can get one made. Look around. You should be able to find someone who makes kydex holsters, or knife sheaths. I had my knife sheath guy do me up a holster for my Glock 45/TRL7 when I couldn't find one I liked. I even took him the pancake loops I like from my normal old Bravo Concealment holster, and he made the grommets spaced to match so they would fit.

I daily a Glock 45/TLR7. Full size gun, full size grip, full size capacity, weapon mounted light, outside the waist holster @ 3 o'clock. Never a problem.

Don't know if this will help, but it's how I see it.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I edc a G19 with X300 in a Bawidamann Gotham holster. It’s a universal holster (fits either a Streamlight or Surefire) and it’s actually extremely comfortable and concealable. I’m 27, 5’9” 170 lbs with a 30 inch waist and I don’t wear baggy clothes. I’m much more comfortable the 350 days I carry a G19 than I am the 15 days I carry a shield or 642.

I also edc a handheld light but I’ve never tried shooting with one tbh

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am a civilian and not retired, reserve, or current LE. I don't carry a pistol with a WML concealed and to be perfectly honest, I cannot imagine a ccw scenario where one would be preferred over a handheld light given how and where I live my life. I use WMLs on home defense guns, but that is another topic.

No one solution works for everyone.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A light on a Pistol is nearly worthless in my experience. The muzzle smoke blocks your view EVERY time you shoot.

It sucks to operate on the gun too if you have to on/off the thing in a room clear/building search. I wouldn't say DON'T put a light on a pistol. But a hand held light should be an immediate option because follow up shots and situation assessments absolutely suck balls when you're waiting for the smoke to clear.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast