Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The necessity of a light on an EDC pistol

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    A light on a Pistol is nearly worthless in my experience. The muzzle smoke blocks your view EVERY time you shoot.

It sucks to operate on the gun too if you have to on/off the thing in a room clear/building search. I wouldn't say DON'T put a light on a pistol. But a hand held light should be an immediate option because follow up shots and situation assessments absolutely suck balls when you're waiting for the smoke to clear.
    I have qualified at night many dozens of times over the past 15+ years I have been carrying a WML and can only remember once or twice where the atmospheric conditions caused the smoke to obstruct my vision. Even then I was able to complete the course of fire by moving or turning off my light. Although this only happened at 15+ yards, at closer ranges I could still see my target. Indoors is likely worse but then you will be also likely closer than 10 yards. However it is definitely something you should be aware of and train for.

You are going to have your pistol out searching a whole lot more than shooting and that is where a WML really helps for target ID. While you may actually never draw for pure CCW you probably check out noises at night in your home so why not have a WML for that too?

Again training is everything so know how to use both a handheld and a WML. If you are only going to train with one option then definitely handheld first. Shooting with a light is a whole lot more than shining a light around to see stuff.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I am a civilian and not retired, reserve, or current LE. I don't carry a pistol with a WML concealed and to be perfectly honest, I cannot imagine a ccw scenario where one would be preferred over a handheld light given how and where I live my life. I use WMLs on home defense guns, but that is another topic.

No one solution works for everyone.

Andy
    Taking the dog outside at midnight is the perfect ccw example. Coming home from a family gathering that ran late and exiting the vehicle.
    I've been through a low light class and a wml is simply better. A two handed grip to shoot is better than a single hand grip with the second hand fiddling with a light.

Using a wml at home and not outside the home in my opinion is silly, if train one way it will be harder to screw up if a situation happens.

For the record I carry a handheld light also, but for having to shoot a dark thirty a wml is better.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have yet to see in any of these comments the ‘negative’ of the WML is that for direct light use, you will be pointing your loaded weapon in that direction. Something to be cognizant of even when using the light indirectly (what is on the other side of that wall, etc).

I have not trained in any low-light classes yet, is this something that is discussed?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I have yet to see in any of these comments the ‘negative’ of the WML is that for direct light use, you will be pointing your loaded weapon in that direction. Something to be cognizant of even when using the light indirectly (what is on the other side of that wall, etc).

I have not trained in any low-light classes yet, is this something that is discussed?
    Yes. Modern flashlights don't need to be pointed directly at something to provide illumination. Also, low ready and consider why do you have your gun out in the first place?

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post
    Taking the dog outside at midnight is the perfect ccw example. Coming home from a family gathering that ran late and exiting the vehicle.
    I've been through a low light class and a wml is simply better. A two handed grip to shoot is better than a single hand grip with the second hand fiddling with a light.

Using a wml at home and not outside the home in my opinion is silly, if train one way it will be harder to screw up if a situation happens.

For the record I carry a handheld light also, but for having to shoot a dark thirty a wml is better.
    Since you chose to quote me and call me silly - we have these crazy things called streetlights, fenced yards, and attached garages where I live.

No single solution works for everyone.

Feedback Score
    Since you chose to quote me and call me silly - we have these crazy things called streetlights, fenced yards, and attached garages where I live.

No single solution works for everyone.
    Got ya.
    Bad people can't get into fenced yards and street lights light up back yards to daytime light levels.

BTW: I said what you are doing sounds silly to me, I didn't say you are silly. When you take a class or three you will learn this.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A class or three will confirm that drawing a pistol to ID a possible threat can be a crime. I'm not a cop and I do not have the same needs an officer does. You do you, I will continue to do silly things that work for me.

Andy

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello All,

I recently picked up a Hellcat that is going to replace my Shield as my EDC gun (after learning in a class that I just can't shoot the Shield). There aren't a ton of light bearing holsters available for the Hellcat so I started thinking of going without a light/laser. When I'm at home I have other (lighted) options available to me so the Hellcat would really only be used when I'm away from home. And, truth be told, I don't go out much at night. So, I'm thinking that holster availability and comfort is more important than mounting a light.

Any thoughts on the necessity of a light?

Thanks,

JRC
    Put whatever light you want on your Hellcat and find a custom holster maker to mold you a holster with your gun/light combo. Yes, you will most likely have to send it to them but if you are set on having a light on your Hellcat that might be your best option at this time. I personally try to have a light on all my pistols although I carried a Sig P232 for many years without one.

Feedback Score
    A class or three will confirm that drawing a pistol to ID a possible threat can be a crime. I'm not a cop and I do not have the same needs an officer does. You do you, I will continue to do silly things that work for me.

Andy

I quoted you because you said you can't think of a situation a wml was needed. I provided a couple and like a child you have snarky incorrect replies.

As to removing the gun from it's holster, if you would stop running your lips and take classes you would know how to stay legal.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...u-might-think/

Feel free to remain ignorant though, at this point I don't care anymore.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post
    I quoted you because you said you can't think of a situation a wml was needed. I provided a couple and like a child you have snarky incorrect replies.

As to removing the gun from it's holster, if you would stop running your lips and take classes you would know how to stay legal.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...u-might-think/

Feel free to remain ignorant though, at this point I don't care anymore.
    Pretty sure personal attacks are still frowned on in this board, like calling people childish and ignorant, but I have been on this rock long enough to have a pretty thick skin.

At the same time, it plumb breaks my heart that you feel I failed to recognized your innate superiority. Of course you know more about how and where I live than I do and the level of training I must not have but need.

How dare I suggest that people may have different requirements and threat levels? I am glad you came along to set me straight.

Andy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast