Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The necessity of a light on an EDC pistol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello All,

I recently picked up a Hellcat that is going to replace my Shield as my EDC gun (after learning in a class that I just can't shoot the Shield). There aren't a ton of light bearing holsters available for the Hellcat so I started thinking of going without a light/laser. When I'm at home I have other (lighted) options available to me so the Hellcat would really only be used when I'm away from home. And, truth be told, I don't go out much at night. So, I'm thinking that holster availability and comfort is more important than mounting a light.

Any thoughts on the necessity of a light?

Thanks,

JRC
    WML options for subcompact pistols are not the best performers and often have odd controls. They also defeat the purpose of having a smaller firearm.

That being said, you should always have some source of white light, which means you should always have a hand held light. Even if you have a WML, you need to have a hand held light.

As far as the necessity of a WML, I don't think it's necessary for most people. If you can carry with one, go for it. A high output hand held will be more useful than a low output WML.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Good points. There is also such a thing as too much light.
    There is, but thankfully those lights are inconvenient to carry and impractical to conceal.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I love the idea of having a weapon light on my carry pistol. With that said, I have found my 1911 to be extremely comfortable to carry, and it does not have a rail. So instead, I have practiced very good techniques with my handheld Surefire tactician, and I am satisfied with that. I use a two-handed grip on the pistol and my non-dominant hand pinches the tactician, holding it in a position where a weapon light normally would be. To activate it, I just pull it into my dominant hand knuckles.
    For days that I do carry a weapon light, it is a streamlight TLR7 mounted on an M&P.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello All,

I recently picked up a Hellcat that is going to replace my Shield as my EDC gun (after learning in a class that I just can't shoot the Shield). There aren't a ton of light bearing holsters available for the Hellcat so I started thinking of going without a light/laser. When I'm at home I have other (lighted) options available to me so the Hellcat would really only be used when I'm away from home. And, truth be told, I don't go out much at night. So, I'm thinking that holster availability and comfort is more important than mounting a light.

Any thoughts on the necessity of a light?

Thanks,

JRC
    WML's and holsters have come a long way in the last 10-15 years; if you can't find a WML or holster for your particular set up then either spend the $$ to have a custom holster made or switch platforms to something that does.

Having a WML doesn't replace a hand held; it just augments it.

You can always google a qual course off the internet and shoot it with a hand held light and then using a WML; most folks will score better if they can get a firing grip with both hands on the gun. And if there's a component with single handed shooting...

Whatever the 99% situations you find yourself where you don't think you'll need a WML are the same 99% of situations where you probably didn't think you'd need to draw a pistol to shoot someone.

Bad weather can take out power lines and cause blackouts; going in to any building can mean transitioning from a well lit area to a dark area, hand held lights can be dropped and batteries die. Yes, it can happen on a WML too but how often does your WML get activated vs hand held?

Folks who don't want a WML will always find a reason not to have one and vice versa; ultimately it's your choice and what you're willing to live with on a daily basis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    WML options for subcompact pistols are not the best performers and often have odd controls. They also defeat the purpose of having a smaller firearm.

That being said, you should always have some source of white light, which means you should always have a hand held light. Even if you have a WML, you need to have a hand held light.

As far as the necessity of a WML, I don't think it's necessary for most people. If you can carry with one, go for it. A high output hand held will be more useful than a low output WML.
    I'm basically in agreement with this. Pocket carry/subcompact has a limited, but useful role in carry as many people know and practice. I don't want my G43 to be my go-to, but I do want it close by almost all the time, and it already sits at the intersection of minimum capability of ammunition I'm willing to carry, and maximum subtlety. Good sights, practice, and a handheld light pair well with this system.

Compact/duty/full-size guns, especially in OWB or duty holsters? Yeah, it's getting harder for a serious minded shooter to go without. But your employment is your business, my .02

Feedback Score
    You should have a small hand held light in your car, just common sense.

WML, not just no but hell no. I say this for police and civilians. I do not hold the same view for high speed units, that are high;y trained. I will say if your SWAT team is made up of ex military special ops folks then this will also not apply to them.

HOWEVER if your SWAT team is guys without a special ops military back ground I will also say no WML on pistols.

I have have seen this from all sides being a former member of one of the worlds Tier 1 and also been a deputy in the USA.

I love cops, but let's be honest about the majority of cops, not highly trained and we can be a little lazy.

Cops if they have a WML on their pistol will for the most part not carry a hand held light. So if they need a light they will use the one on the pistol. What happened to not pointing your pistol in a safe direction all the time.

Civilians the typical gun fight stats have not changed in the USA, to the best of my knowledge in the last 40 plus years. 3 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds. Your up close and you will see the threat and respond to it. You will not need a light.

WML on pistols is an accident waiting to happen. The other part of it, is without night training enough to make it part of your muscle memory will it even be used?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    You should have a small hand held light in your car, just common sense.

WML, not just no but hell no. I say this for police and civilians. I do not hold the same view for high speed units, that are high;y trained. I will say if your SWAT team is made up of ex military special ops folks then this will also not apply to them.

HOWEVER if your SWAT team is guys without a special ops military back ground I will also say no WML on pistols.

I have have seen this from all sides being a former member of one of the worlds Tier 1 and also been a deputy in the USA.

I love cops, but let's be honest about the majority of cops, not highly trained and we can be a little lazy.

Cops if they have a WML on their pistol will for the most part not carry a hand held light. So if they need a light they will use the one on the pistol. What happened to not pointing your pistol in a safe direction all the time.

Civilians the typical gun fight stats have not changed in the USA, to the best of my knowledge in the last 40 plus years. 3 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds. Your up close and you will see the threat and respond to it. You will not need a light.

WML on pistols is an accident waiting to happen. The other part of it, is without night training enough to make it part of your muscle memory will it even be used?
    Training issue. And if your guys are so poorly trained that they can’t keep their weapons pointed in the right direction, then the flashlight attached to it is not the problem.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score

Cops if they have a WML on their pistol will for the most part not carry a hand held light. So if they need a light they will use the one on the pistol. What happened to not pointing your pistol in a safe direction all the time?
    After multiple incidents in my city, this is why officers (SWAT exempt) are not allowed to have WML while on duty. There may be an exception program, but I'm not aware of it.

As 1168 said, this is a training issue. As are most things. If you have a WML on your daily carry (I do) you must train with it.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    .45fan - dial back the snotty attitude and stop posting in this thread. That's not a request.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Admitting the that the problem is a lack of training then stating that no one should have one due to a lack of training is rather ironic.

This argument is akin to stating that people should not own firearms until they are on par with the world's experts.

A WML allows for certain advantages if the situation dictates the necessary use of force that comes from drawing a pistol. Home defense guns should absolutely have a WML, there is simply no reason not to have one. The common argument is that you have to point your weapon at something to aim with your WML, but that again goes back to training issues. WML's can absolutely be used with pointing a firearm at someone. Simply put, all of it goes back to training. Whether it's a handheld or WML, you need training. Just remember...

Last edited by D_M; 03-29-20 at 12:01.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast