Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can bobbing a hammer cause problems?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I boobed my 3" SP101...many rounds thru it w/o a problem. Had a lot of meat left on the hammer.
    This might be very model specific.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    For a combat revolver I have always been a believer and user of bobbed hammers. Nothing to snag.

But for a period of time lawyers in wrongful death suits were saying officers were cocking the hammer so they could execute the dead scum bag.

Bobbed hammer and they would be less able to use it. I know of a couple of guys that even took off the single action giving a double action only system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    For a combat revolver I have always been a believer and user of bobbed hammers. Nothing to snag.
    Completely agree. As glocktogo said, with a little work you can get the trigger pull of K, L, and N frame Smiths down to 5# and be 100% reliable but only with Federal primers. Swapping springs to get 100% reliability with any primer will bring the trigger pull up to 7# or 8#. Of course, the entire inside of the action was honed and polished to further enhance the trigger pull.

Here are a few pics of a bobbed and lightened stock hammer on a S&W 625. What a difference in trigger pull from how it came from the box. The revolver is a joy to shoot now.

The easier way to do what I did is to just throw money at Apex Tactical for their excellent S&W hammers and spring sets.

The red marks are from a permanent marker I was using during fitting. Failed to do a complete job of removing it when I was done.

Feedback Score
    Damn that's some mighty fine work!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Damn that's some mighty fine work!
    Thanks. Sometimes the Dremel devil just won't let me stop.

The reason for removing all the metal was to lighten the hammer so that it would fall faster. This combined with the internal polishing allowed for the use of lighter springs.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_in_Allentown View Post
    Completely agree. As glocktogo said, with a little work you can get the trigger pull of K, L, and N frame Smiths down to 5# and be 100% reliable but only with Federal primers. Swapping springs to get 100% reliability with any primer will bring the trigger pull up to 7# or 8#. Of course, the entire inside of the action was honed and polished to further enhance the trigger pull.

Here are a few pics of a bobbed and lightened stock hammer on a S&W 625. What a difference in trigger pull from how it came from the box. The revolver is a joy to shoot now.

The easier way to do what I did is to just throw money at Apex Tactical for their excellent S&W hammers and spring sets.

The red marks are from a permanent marker I was using during fitting. Failed to do a complete job of removing it when I was done.

That is an absolutely gorgeous hammer job!

My competition 686 had an Apex Level IV ICORE action job and it was 5# on the money. I could do one a bit smoother but not quite as light.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12