Thread: Another M4A1 style build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Another M4A1 style build

Nothing too crazy, just another M4A1 style build. I had a leftover Noveske Gen 1 upper receiver, so I bought a Gen 1 lower to match. I always liked the tight/precise fit these receivers have to each other, so I use these for a lot of my projects. The factory forward assist had a cheesy Noveske logo on it, so I replaced it with a Colt forward assist assembly. The factory dust cover had play in it when it was in the closed position, so I replaced it with Colt parts as well. The dust cover still has play in it, so I chalk that up to the machining of the upper itself. Anyway, the barrel is genuine 14.5" Colt SOCOM, finished off with a pinned on Surefire closed tine flash hider. BCG is genuine Colt. I wanted to full float the barrel, so I chose a carbine length KAC RAS. Initially I was concerned about the weight of this setup, but when put on a scale, it's similar in weight to an M4 RAS, so went ahead and used it. Rear buis is a KAC 600m folding sight. I wanted to try something other than a Matech, but wanted to keep the adjustable elevation. I dressed up the rest of the upper with a Gas Buster charging handle, KAC broom handle, KAC QD sling point on the handguard, Surefire 600v, Dbal A3, and a RCO ACOG in a Larue mount. The lower houses a Geissele SSA-E trigger, Noveske pins, LMT buffer tube, B5 SOPMOD stock, JP polished action spring, Colt H2 buffer, KAC QD sling mount on the buttstock.

So far I like it! It shoots straight, mounts my Rc2 suppressor, and looks cool. After shooting it for a while I decided to paint it, so I bought some OD, Sand, and Brown Rust-Oleum. I started with a brown base coat, and layered the other colors on top. The picture doesn't show it very well, but the rifle has an old school BDU jungle pattern to it.

In the future I plan to install an LMT E-bcg, as soon as they come off backorder. The SOPMOD stock isn't my favorite, so I'm trying to hunt down a genuine Colt or P&S waffle stock.
    I don't like the closed tine flash suppressor, as I feel it doesn't suppress flash all that well, so it will be replaced with a 3 prong here pretty soon. Lastly, the broom handle will make way for a Harris bipod.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 03-18-20 at 19:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice build. After I finish my block II build I am thinking of doing a block 1 or a m4 setup like I had when we first transitioned to the m4.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    Nice build. After I finish my block II build I am thinking of doing a block 1 or a m4 setup like I had when we first transitioned to the m4.
    Thanks! I keep circling back to this type of setup, because the basic M4A1 is what I'm assigned by Uncle Sam.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Thanks! I keep circling back to this type of setup, because the basic M4A1 is what I'm assigned by Uncle Sam.
    I get that. Thats why I keep wanting a m4 and an m16a2 build. They were my first uncle sam guns issued to me.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I get that. Thats why I keep wanting a m4 and an m16a2 build. They were my first uncle sam guns issued to me.
    Same here. I happen to have an A2 clone I'm rather proud of as well.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Very nice! I lean more and more back to FSBs myself, looks like I'm in good company!

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    1) Nice rifle, Hammer Man. There's something satisfying about a full featured M4.

2) Definitely clone your rifle. It's not the latest/greatest, but cloning the one I carried as a Squad Leader is incredibly gratifying.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I've decided to forgo the rear BUIS, I've come to like the ACOG where it currently sits.

On another note: The sloppy fit of the dust cover on the Noveske upper really bothered me, so I swapped it out for a BCM upper. The downside is the tight precise fit between the upper and lower receivers is no longer there. The fit is more like my assigned duty weapon, which is to say good enough for govt. work. Recently I built another M4 using a BCM upper, and a ZEV lower, and I like the fit between those receivers much better, so I plan to replace the Noveske lower with a ZEV at some point in the future.

@GTF425 nice clone! How do you like the weapon light mounted on the low side of the rail? Do you find it gets in your way when using the vertical grip?
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 04-02-20 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    @GTF425 nice clone! How do you like the weapon light mounted on the low side of the rail? Do you find it gets in your way when using the vertical grip?
    Not at all, actually. It's positioned in a pretty convenient place for me to work either the laser or light without having to shift my grip to do so. I know its fallen out of favor to "grip" a VFG, but on those short rails with those attachments, that was the best I could do and I feel like I was able to make the best of it.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Not at all, actually. It's positioned in a pretty convenient place for me to work either the laser or light without having to shift my grip to do so. I know its fallen out of favor to "grip" a VFG, but on those short rails with those attachments, that was the best I could do and I feel like I was able to make the best of it.
    I agree with the space issue. Despite the limitations, I like this setup, and feel it's pretty bomb proof. Plus, my assigned weapon is similar in setup, so I figure building this will make for good training.