Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another M4A1 style build

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Another M4A1 style build

Nothing too crazy, just another M4A1 style build. I had a leftover Noveske Gen 1 upper receiver, so I bought a Gen 1 lower to match. I always liked the tight/precise fit these receivers have to each other, so I use these for a lot of my projects. The factory forward assist had a cheesy Noveske logo on it, so I replaced it with a Colt forward assist assembly. The factory dust cover had play in it when it was in the closed position, so I replaced it with Colt parts as well. The dust cover still has play in it, so I chalk that up to the machining of the upper itself. Anyway, the barrel is genuine 14.5" Colt SOCOM, finished off with a pinned on Surefire closed tine flash hider. BCG is genuine Colt. I wanted to full float the barrel, so I chose a carbine length KAC RAS. Initially I was concerned about the weight of this setup, but when put on a scale, it's similar in weight to an M4 RAS, so went ahead and used it. Rear buis is a KAC 600m folding sight. I wanted to try something other than a Matech, but wanted to keep the adjustable elevation. I dressed up the rest of the upper with a Gas Buster charging handle, KAC broom handle, KAC QD sling point on the handguard, Surefire 600v, Dbal A3, and a RCO ACOG in a Larue mount. The lower houses a Geissele SSA-E trigger, Noveske pins, LMT buffer tube, B5 SOPMOD stock, JP polished action spring, Colt H2 buffer, KAC QD sling mount on the buttstock.

So far I like it! It shoots straight, mounts my Rc2 suppressor, and looks cool. After shooting it for a while I decided to paint it, so I bought some OD, Sand, and Brown Rust-Oleum. I started with a brown base coat, and layered the other colors on top. The picture doesn't show it very well, but the rifle has an old school BDU jungle pattern to it.

In the future I plan to install an LMT E-bcg, as soon as they come off backorder. The SOPMOD stock isn't my favorite, so I'm trying to hunt down a genuine Colt or P&S waffle stock.
    I don't like the closed tine flash suppressor, as I feel it doesn't suppress flash all that well, so it will be replaced with a 3 prong here pretty soon. Lastly, the broom handle will make way for a Harris bipod.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 03-18-20 at 19:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice build. After I finish my block II build I am thinking of doing a block 1 or a m4 setup like I had when we first transitioned to the m4.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    Nice build. After I finish my block II build I am thinking of doing a block 1 or a m4 setup like I had when we first transitioned to the m4.
    Thanks! I keep circling back to this type of setup, because the basic M4A1 is what I'm assigned by Uncle Sam.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Thanks! I keep circling back to this type of setup, because the basic M4A1 is what I'm assigned by Uncle Sam.
    I get that. Thats why I keep wanting a m4 and an m16a2 build. They were my first uncle sam guns issued to me.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    I get that. Thats why I keep wanting a m4 and an m16a2 build. They were my first uncle sam guns issued to me.
    Same here. I happen to have an A2 clone I'm rather proud of as well.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Very nice! I lean more and more back to FSBs myself, looks like I'm in good company!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Very nice! I lean more and more back to FSBs myself, looks like I'm in good company!
    I actually removed the rear sight the other day, to move the ACOG as far back on the receiver as I could. I hate being nose on charging handle because of the 1.5" eye relief. So far it's worked pretty good, but now I need to find a solution for the rear buis.

Feedback Score
    I actually removed the rear sight the other day, to move the ACOG as far back on the receiver as I could. I hate being nose on charging handle because of the 1.5" eye relief. So far it's worked pretty good, but now I need to find a solution for the rear buis.
    KAC offsets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    There is a KRAM spacer you can get for the ACOG. It will rise it slightly and move it further back without having to remove the rear sight.
    Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    I saw more than a few guys using ACOGs without rear sights on my deployments to Afghanistan between 2008 to 2010. Especially Marines with M16A4s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast