Thread: bullet questions: oxidation/corrosion

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

bullet questions: oxidation/corrosion

long story short:

Around Wednesday, I set out about 500 rounds of assorted 9mm ammo on my carpet to separate and organize. A few days passed and when I went back to finish, I noticed that these bullets had stained my carpet with a green-ish colored residue. About 300-400 of these bullets had a greenish build up and or some areas of rust. My carpet is not wet or even damp. I'm stumped. I got the stains out of the carpet, but now I wondering what to do with these bullets. I tried wiping them individually with a towel and Hoppes solvent, but it takes like 10 minutes to remove green material but doesn't remove the rust.

What are my options? Im not too worried about restoring the brass to its factory shine, just removing rust and green oxidation.

Can I submerge these live rounds into a rust removal solvent?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Moving to ammunition.

There's something in/on, etc the carpet and had a reaction with the brass. No liquids on the loaded round, take steel wool and spin them with your hands. If it's minor, just shoot them.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Fastest/easiest method of removing the residue is down a barrel, shoot them.
    Clean barrel afterwards.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    In all seriousness, you need to look into what's in or on the carpet. Google causes, I would replace with hardwood or tile.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That sounds like the green goo that develops when brass hardware is in contact with tanned leather, but that seems to take more than a few days to develop.

Feedback Score
    When you say rust, you mean steel cases ammo, correct?
    The green stuff is verdigris.
    As for why, I have no idea, could be a lot of different things, chemicals in the carpet, galvonic corrosion, high humidity, etc.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    In all seriousness, you need to look into what's in or on the carpet.
    This...

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Fastest/easiest method of removing the residue is down a barrel, shoot them.
    Clean barrel afterwards.
    And this